View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 pm 
I have been happily using my MythTV setup for 5 years and without even making a single change for the past 2 years. Then RCN tells me that they are dropping the analog signal on Nov 5th. I figured it was a good run and I would just drop them, MythTV and use Hulu or something. I called to cancel and they basically offered me cable TV for free for the next year if I don't drop it.

So now I need to control a stupid cable box. My system is so old that I don't even remember what functionality the add on cards had. I have 2 PVR-250s that I thought had a IR output capability to control the cable box. Looking at the only documentation I can find it does not look like the 250 has that ability. Does it? If not what is the best thing to buy to control a cable box? I will only need to control 1 (and disable the second PVR250), but I want something that will work without a lot of "tweaking". Hopefully something that has a setup script I can run without re-installing KnoppMyth from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 pm 
I had a PVR250 before but I never used it for IR control...because I don't think it can. I picked up a little cheap device from Ebay that plugged in to the serial port. It's called an iRBlaster, and worked like a champ. Toughest thing was getting LiRC set right on the MythTV box. But this was years ago when I used to test Knoppmyth alot.

Anyway, http://www.irblaster.info/ will get you started. It's the same guy that sells them daily on Ebay. They work and they can be used to control just about anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:30 am 
afrosheen wrote:
I had a PVR250 before but I never used it for IR control...because I don't think it can. I picked up a little cheap device from Ebay that plugged in to the serial port. It's called an iRBlaster, and worked like a champ. Toughest thing was getting LiRC set right on the MythTV box. But this was years ago when I used to test Knoppmyth alot.

Anyway, http://www.irblaster.info/ will get you started. It's the same guy that sells them daily on Ebay. They work and they can be used to control just about anything.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered one. When it gets in I will start "playing around" hopefully it won't be too painful LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 pm 
Yeah, just start googling Lirc and whatever device you're going to control with it. It's not too tricky but it can be a real time vampire. There should be a ton of config files for different devices floating around on the internet.