View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: forcedeth.c
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm 
My SBE's nic occasionally goes bizerk and floods my hub preventing any other traffic. The only solution I've found so far is to bounce it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It's using the forcedeth driver:

forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.60.
forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01462:7309 bound to 0000:00:07.0

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 pm 
I saw a lot of TX/RX errors on my main workstation using the forcedeth driver (I don't recall the version). Like you, my solution was bounce it and install a PCI gig-e card. I recall finding some google hits about forcedeth problems, but I can't point you to anything directly. This was about 6 months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:02 am 
I'd rather not sacrifice a pci port for a nic. I do have a pci 1x slot open but an New Egg search for that architecture didn't bring up anything cheap.

Gig-E >> do you find you need it? Or was it more just a matter of "well I might as well"...

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:26 am 
abigailsweetashoney wrote:
Gig-E >> do you find you need it? Or was it more just a matter of "well I might as well"...

Depends on what you're using it for. On a frontend box, 10/100 is fine. On a backend you may consider gig-e if you have more than 2 fe's that pull from it concurrently. For my workstation, I frequently push or pull large files (>10 GB) to/from my backend, so the extra speed of gig-e is helpful. I do have both 10/100 and gig laying around, so desiring faster transfers, I chose gig-e.

You can also try to compile a newer kernel to see if your problems go away. Copy cesman's config and configure anything new in the latest kernel and give it a whirl.

Post subject: Re: forcedeth.c
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:31 pm 
My SBE's nic occasionally goes bizerk and floods my hub preventing any other traffic. The only solution I've found so far is to bounce it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It's using the forcedeth driver:

forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.60.
forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01462:7309 bound to 0000:00:07.0

Thanks, -Abs

I had the exact same symptoms and I also use "forcedeth.c". I also had to bounce my myth box to stop the problem. After quite a bit of experimenting I found that adding the "noapic" option to /etc/lilo.conf solved the problem. I have been running without any problems for over a month now since making this change. So at this time my R5.5 /etc/lilo/conf "append=" line looks like this:
Code:
append="apm=power-off nomce quiet vmalloc=256m SELINUX_INIT=NO noapic"

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Last edited by marc.aronson on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:36 pm 
Great. I'll give it a try.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:52 pm 
Box has not crashed at all since and the port hasn't flooded the hub either. Fyi.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:39 pm 
Box has not crashed at all since and the port hasn't flooded the hub either. Fyi.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I ran some fairly extreme stress tests without problems and I've been running stable now for ~3 months since making this change.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 am 
I'm running R6 with .22 and seeing a lot of "too many iterations" using the forcedeth driver. Is the above lilo fix still in order? and where is it? TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I'm running R6 with .22 and seeing a lot of "too many iterations" using the forcedeth driver. Is the above lilo fix still in order? and where is it? TIA

I believe that R6 uses grub so I'm not sure how to make the change. Does your network connection die or are you simply getting log entries that state "too many iterations"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 am 
asking Google about "Grub noapic" returns:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ub-599143/

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:

I believe that R6 uses grub so I'm not sure how to make the change. Does your network connection die or are you simply getting log entries that state "too many iterations"?

I've been getting lockups the last couple days, so went digging and the everything.log is showing dozens of these warnings. At the moment, I don't know if the two are related, but figured I'd start with this as it seems the largest error in the log file.