View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:10 am 
Hi all,

I'm new to Knoppmyth/LinHES, though fairly experienced now with MythTV installations. This is the third MythTV distribution I've tried and, so far, the one I like the most. (I've used Gentoo and Mythbuntu 8.10 and 9.10 before.)

Anyway, onto the issue at hand. With the other distributions, I've used the following modeline to drive a 16:9 CRT TV directly via RGB SCART from the VGA socket (a well documented method around the web).

Code:
ModeLine        "PALi-ws" 19.750 1024 1056 1152 1264  576 581 586 625 interlace composite

The video card is an integrated ATi Radeon X200 (known as RC410 by the xf86-video-ati / radeon driver) and is loaded with the 'ForceMinDotClock' option set at 13MHz.

The problem is, the TV isn't syncing with the image properly. The closest I've got to this working is with the odd and even fields top and bottom of the screen respectively (rather than being scanned alternately as they should be). This made me think the 'interlace' option was being ignored, so I tried removing it, then the picture was incomprehensible. Likewise, I tried removing 'composite', which also changed the image, but not for the better.

I've also tried all combinations of adding ±hsync/±vsync to no avail.

Something which may be relevant is that immediately after installation, X was outputting a mode my monitor couldn't display, despite the monitor's settings apparently being detected and written to the X.org file. I fixed this by deleting the settings in the X.org file, so X.org detected the settings automatically on startup. (This isn't the only issue I had with installation: I'll post that elsewhere though.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get LinHES running!

Edit: the complete xorg.conf is here. I've also uploaded a log file here from Xorg running with this xorg.conf.
Edit 2: I've just noticed this is the wrong forum, sorry! Could a moderator move this to the LinHES hardware forum please? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm 
Okay, I've managed to fix this myself after much digging around via Google!

Basically, xf86-video-ati versions 6.3.3 through 6.9.0 have a bug in their interlaced video mode handling. It's very well documented here. Basically, due to some fun with registers, interlaced modes aren't interlaced at all: they're double the refresh rate they should be instead.

Anyway, the patch at that link was incorporated into 6.10.0, which is available via LinHES's core-testing repository. I want as stable as system as possible, so I downloaded the PKGBUILD file from here, then built and installed it myself, using the instructions given on the Arch wiki here.

Now it all works perfectly! If only my database hadn't been screwed up by a rogue 0.22 backend… (unrelated problem, just annoying!).