View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD5500 flaking out...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 pm 
I went to watch live tv earlier this evening and was getting weird problems. Poked around a bit and it seems like my HD5500 has gone stupid. I tried power cycling and a redefining the card in setup, but no luck. Setup doesn't give me any errors when I choose card type DVB but it doesn't seem to identify it either. I seem to remember several potential issues with DVB capture cards.

- Firmware isn't getting loaded for some reason?
- Card isn't getting initialized correctly?
- Order of driver loading or udev id flipped?
- Card spontaneously and suddenly failed?

Sadly it's been much too long since I diagnosed one of these things and I'm *way* rusty... Can somebody give me a jump start?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:43 pm 
Well since the card doesn't even show up in the lspci output any more I'm guessing it's dead. :(

Overall the half life on the pcHDTV cards doesn't seem to be very good. First the HD2000 died within a year, and now the HD5500 died after only a couple. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 am 
Sorry to hear it. I replaced my pcHDTV cards quite awhile ago with HD HomeRun boxes and I've been pretty pleased. The first gen HDHR died with power supply problems but the 2nd gen has been pretty solid. I also like the ability to place the boxes closer to the antenna in the attic and run CAT5 instead of coax.

The newer 3-input one with the cablecard slot it tempting, but I'm just sure the cable cos will find a way to screw it up. I currently have two 2-input ones and four streams seems like overkill. Three would probably be the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 am 
@tjc - You experience a power surge or the like? Perhaps your powersupply is going bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 am 
I don't think it was the powersupply. Putting the card in one of the test boxes yielded a similar lack of results.

While we've had more than our fair share of dirty weather this year (micro-burst, hurricane, lightening and wind storms, ...) I don't remember anything special for the window of time when the card stopped working.

In any case it got replaced with a new HDHR3 which seems to be doing great after replacing a bad cat-6 cable.