View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Gigabit NIC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 am 
Could anyone please suggest a PCI GB netowrk card that I can slot straight into my R5F1 KnoppMyth box and just have it work.

I will be upgrading to the latest release shortly so if there is a little work to get it going with my current version I don't mind. I have done and search and everyone is saying just get a MOBO with GB, but I can not currently do that in this situation.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:36 am 
I have Lanparty UT nF3 250gb and the onboard nic is not supported for 1Gb but I still use it.

Maybe still good deal.
Top of the page:
http://www.slickdeals.net/index.php?to= ... -08&page=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 am 
Intel. They "just work" (for me, anyway). I used the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter in my KM R5D1 MBE without issue, recently switched hardware and am now using an Intel PRO/1000 PT (PCI-E) in R5F27. Don't recall having to do anything special aside from MTU settings for 9K frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am 
Another vote for the Intel gigabit NIC. It seems to be the best supported under Linux and FreeBSD. I've netted some bargains on fleabay for the Intel cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:03 pm 
Another Intel NIC vote from me too. I have the same one (Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter) slowtolearn mentioned and it does "just work." Beware that hotplug may play games with the device and make it difficult for you. For example, when I added a card once, hotplug assigned it eth23 :shock: I figured out it was a hotplug thing and I manually edited /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules to make the new card something same, like eth0. ;)

Post subject: Re: Gigabit NIC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 pm 
Girkers wrote:
Could anyone please suggest a PCI GB netowrk card that I can slot straight into my R5F1 KnoppMyth box and just have it work.
Question, now that I think of it (and a bit OT): Why gigabit? I use Gb for an rsync backup between 2 systems, but all of my KM boxen run over 100Mb - No trouble with them thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:02 am 
I like the Intel cards so it looks like I will be getting a couple of them (one for my Linux server).

As to the reasoning, I copy thing to and from my KnoppMyth box and I generally only get about <7000KB/s, I already have a GB switch so it would only be the card as an investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm 
Just to let you know I have ordered two (2) x Intel Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapters, they are supported by the e1000 driver which I know is included in KnoppMyth. All things going well I will be able to just disable the onboard NIC plug the Intel NIC do a netcardconfig and away I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am 
Looks like you already ordered and they will probably be fine. For others, I have several of these DLink cards that "just worked" out of the box. They are very fast and haven't given me any issues in the past 2 years (still going fine).

If your switch supports jumbo frames, remember to test them out as they can make a pretty significant difference. Here is a guide that will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:57 am 
I just had a look at my supplier and the D-Link cards are about 1/2 the price. I like the Intel as a brand and they have always had a reliable name in the NIC sense.

I have a Netgear JGS516 Switch and funnily enough a D-Link DGS-1016D switch, I am currently using the Netgear.

Once I install the card I will report how they went.

[edit]After a bit of research it would appear that the Netgear does not support Jumbo frames, the D-Link apparently does 9600B frames supposedly.[/edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 am 
graysky wrote:
Looks like you already ordered and they will probably be fine. For others, I have several of these DLink cards that "just worked" out of the box. They are very fast and haven't given me any issues in the past 2 years (still going fine).

If your switch supports jumbo frames, remember to test them out as they can make a pretty significant difference. Here is a guide that will help.

I just picked up the same D-Link Card for my Slave Backend. My brother in law has the same card and it worked out of box in Mythbuntu. I am going to be testing it out tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:32 pm 
@girkers - dunno about either of those switches, but I love my Netgear GS-108 and it's $50 after mailin rebate right now from NE. There was some cavot about jumbo frame support in this switch a while ago when I bought it. If I remember correctly, you have to make sure the serial number on the product is > some number I can't remember.... just google around and I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about. I actually think it's a non-issue now (April of 2008 that is). I'm sure all of them support the 9k frame size by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:29 pm 
I have connected up the D-Link now in place of the Netgear. I will have to wait until I reinstall KM as with the new card it is appearing as eth2 and I can no longer see my Mythbox on the network.

I remember a while ago there was a way in windows with the ping command to find out if packets were being fragment by a router/switch, is there a similar thing in Linux that I will be able to use that will show me if the packets are being fragmented?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:14 pm 
Girkers wrote:
I have connected up the D-Link now in place of the Netgear. I will have to wait until I reinstall KM as with the new card it is appearing as eth2 and I can no longer see my Mythbox on the network.
You can change /etc/network/interfaces to set ethX (or run netcardconfig which may resolve this for you)

Girkers wrote:
I remember a while ago there was a way in windows with the ping command to find out if packets were being fragment by a router/switch, is there a similar thing in Linux that I will be able to use that will show me if the packets are being fragmented?
I suspect you are thinking of increasing the packet size until you see failures, which you can do with the -s option to ping. I use iptraf to monitor traffic over my interfaces, which you can apt-get install in R5F27.

EDIT: To set 9K frames you want to use ifconfig <interface> mtu xxxx, where xxxx is your best mtu setting (my Intel card is set to 9216). I set this in an /etc/rc5.d startup script. /EDIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:36 am 
I have tried to get the device across to eth0 with no luck. I will probably be reinstalling soon so I am not overly worried, pity though.

Go to page 1, 2  Next