View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:32 pm 
I've done some searching for this on the forum and on Google, without much luck (I couldn't read the German well enough on a different forum).

I'm running R5F27, and have been using the ATI Remote Wonder for quite a while, and it used to work pretty well, but lately it's been a bit flaky. It stops working, at random it seems, and then starts working again some time later. Now I noticed that in the syslog I'm getting this message:

Code:
lircd-0.8.2-CVS-pvr150[7716]: reading in mode LIRC_MODE_LIRCCODE failed

Something is failing, but what? Does this seem more likely to be a hardware or software issue? Is more information needed? I appreciate anyone who can help me or tell me where to look to get more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:19 pm 
Okay, after I posted this, I played with the remote a lot and got nowhere. Eventually the thing just died. The red LED didn't light up when I pressed any of the buttons, and apparently there was no response on the receiver end, either. My guess is that this was a hardware issue the whole time.

The dead remote turned out to be a mixed blessing, though. Sure I had to fork out some cash for a new remote, but I bought the much cheaper Streamzap, and the thing works much better than the ATI Remote Wonder ever did. I had forgotten how much of a hassle it was to deal with the repeating issues on that thing. When I used the kernel module, the blasted thing repeated if you held on for longer than a split second, and repeated entirely too quickly to be useful, and when I was using lirc instead of the kernel module, I had to give up the repeating function entirely.

The repeat function on the Streamzap is very good, and all the buttons were already setup exactly how I thought they should be. I highly recommend this remote to others. Not many buttons, but has all the buttons I need. Not only that, but it actually works with my universal learning remote, so I can teach the commands to it instead. Couldn't do that with the ATI.

While I'm at it, thanks go to whoever put together the lirc-reconfig.sh script. I just plugged in the receiver, ran that little script, restarted the frontend, and all was well in Myth Land. Cecil and all the Knoppmyth developers out there, you guys are doing a tremendous job. Thank you.