View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Kodi Version For LinHES
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 am 
The latest version of Kodi in the repository is 16.1. This is what I have installed. Kodi development has not only gone through the 16.x series but also the 17.x series and is getting ready to release in the 18.x series. I am wondering why Kodi in the LinHES repository is stagnant (bad word with a bad connotation but it's the best one I can think of at the moment). So why has Kodi not kept up? No demands. No pressure. Just wondering. There were some security issues addressed in the 17.x series and that got me wondering.

sparks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
I don't use it or have a need for it and the last few versions have taken me many hours to build with all the new deps they seem to add with every update. If someone wants to provide a working PKGBUILD for Kodi and any new deps that aren't in the LinHES repo and add them to the issue (http://linhes.org/issues/1011) that would help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm 
I have used kodi a bit since upgrading to 8.5.1 and it seems to perform very well. I would be interested in upgrading to kodi 18 Where I believe there is active development on a netflix add-on. I don't have any experience with making pkgbuild files but I have compiled some applications from source over the years. I would be happy to attempt this but I don't have a trial system and am afraid of breaking this system. Do you have any advice on what I would need to do to setup a linhes chroot to try this out without impacting the libraries and binaries on my live system?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:32 pm 
I have done this... Not hard but tedious. First - and MOST IMPORTANT - clone your production drive. You will be making changes that can hose it. Then... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO_compile_K ... ch/Manjaro. Just a side note - I always keep a cloned copy of my production drive in an open bay in my server. Every time I do a major system change I re-clone it. Has saved my ass many times over the years (I tend to push the envelope on what I run on my Arch box).

This requires that you install many packages from repos that linHES doesn't normally use. It has been awhile since I did this but I don't remember any real issues.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:04 pm 
I understand, but if it is all done in chroot it should not hose anything except the chroot system. I would likely clone the system anyway. I just don't know how easy it will be to chroot linhes since it is a custom distro. Some have tools that will automatically download the base system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm 
if you want to really be safe you could install LinHES in a virtual machine and test there first. Video and audio playback performance aren't perfect but it would allow you to play in a safe environment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
if you want to really be safe you could install LinHES in a virtual machine and test there first. Video and audio playback performance aren't perfect but it would allow you to play in a safe environment.

That sounds like a smart idea. Installing a frontend only with no connection to my backend in Virtualbox on a laptop while backing up my combined frontend/backend. I'll try my luck with the Kodi 17.3 since it is the latest stable release and see how that goes before trying to tackle the latest source on GIT.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am 
I wasn't having any luck building from source, but I was able to download packages from the current arch linux repositories and successfully launch Kodi 17.6. Unfortunately one of the dependencies was libpulse, so I don't know if audio will work and I didn't test it before on the Virtual Machine. I will try to do some verification tomorrow if I get some time. In total I think there were only 7 packages that required installation/update.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm 
I was able to tweak the PKGBUILD file in the LinHES repository and get Kodi 17.6 to install without any other packages that are not already in the repository. I don't see a method of attaching PKGBUILD in the issue linked earlier, what is the best method for sharing it? I used the other files that were already in the kodi repository in LinHES and installed all of the make dependencies and it installed and launched without issue. I have not tested this beyond installing, running, adding an add-on and testing a video had sound all in a Virtualbox instance of LinHES 8.5.1.

Any suggestions before I try to load the compiled package into a production system?