View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:31 am 
Between the the kids, wife, and I , we record about 10-15 shows per week. Of those, about 2-3 of them will get the wrong channel. It's driving me nuts cause I can't trust it to record the proper show, like it used to, but it works often enough that I can't pinpoint it. I've been running flawlessly the exact same computer, settop box, IR blaster, receiver, cables, lircd.conf, change-channel-lirc.sh since R5E50. I'm using a serial receiver and blaster from irblaster.info with a Y cable to run them both on the same port.

The things that have changed are:
A. We moved to a new house in July. Everything was turned off, disassembled, moved and reassembled in a new location. I've double checked connections, cables, and blaster placement.
B. I installed R6.

I installed R6.08 in the summer time when not many shows where on. Things seemed to upgrade fairly well, no major problems. I've updated to latest via pacman, using the testing servers. I noticed a couple shows missed but blamed it on the service provider as often they will say "Coming up next..." and play something different. When new seasons started in the fall, more shows where screwing up.

Things I've tried:
I dropped all capture cards and channel lineups, adjusted and re-added the lineup in schedules direct, hoping it would cure a possible faulty DB.

I added acpi=force to /boot/grub/menu.lst as I had to add to lilo in R5.5

Added some logging to my channel-change script to make sure mythtv is passing the proper channel numbers and the loop is working properly.
Code:
Fri Nov 20 20:00:05 CST 2009 362

This shows that it was asked to turn to 362 but at the start of the video you can still see the OSD from the STB showing that it turned to 366 and then entered 22 waiting for a third number to change the channel again.

mythbackend log says
Code:
2009-11-20 20:00:06.902 External Tuning program exited with no error

Every time the blaster is used these show up in /var/log/lircd
Code:
Nov 19 20:00:05 mythtv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov 19 20:00:05 mythtv lircd: removed client
Nov 19 20:00:05 mythtv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov 19 20:00:05 mythtv lircd: removed client
Nov 19 20:00:06 mythtv lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov 19 20:00:06 mythtv lircd: removed client

These started showing up recently, not sure what I might have changed to cause that.
Code:
Nov 20 21:14:44 mythtv lircd: trigger
Nov 20 21:14:44 mythtv lircd: trigger
Nov 20 21:14:45 mythtv lircd: check
Nov 20 21:14:46 mythtv lircd: check
Nov 20 21:14:46 mythtv lircd: trigger
Nov 20 21:14:48 mythtv lircd: trigger
Nov 20 21:14:56 mythtv lircd: trigger

I've tried trimming down the /etc/sv/lircd/run file to only include stuff for the serial receiver/blaster but...no luck
Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
lirc_serial: port 03f8 already in use
lirc_serial: use 'setserial /dev/ttySX uart none'
lirc_serial: or compile the serial port driver as module and
lirc_serial: make sure this module is loaded first
lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
This is in dmesg. I've tried unloading lirc drivers, running the setserial command and reloading everything.

I've tried covering the STB/blaster with a blanket to make sure that nothing was being reflected off anything or light interference.

My next plan is to downgrade to R5.5(which used to work fine) and verify if this is a software or hardware issue.

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks. Warren.

Hardware
ECS K7SOM+
AMD 1200
640 ram
EVGA GeForce 4 MX4000
PVR 150

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:55 pm 
Hi There,

I had a very similar issue when AT&T started putting a sleep function in their settopboxes (they go into a sleep mode after 4 hours). You can wake them up by sending an OK command to the irblaster ahead of the channel change.

Anyways, some times the boxes take an extra couple tenths of a second to "wake up" and miss my command for the channel change from the IR blaster to the settopbox. And poof the wrong channel records, i record bugs bunny instead of stock car racing (or something like that). What I ended up doing to solve the problem is putting an extra 0.2 or 0.3 tenths of a second delay time in my blaster script.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap