View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: FE Only Disk Size?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm 
Can anyone tell me what the minimum hard drive disk size requirement is for a frontend-only install? I know for Knoppmyth a 10GB drive worked just fine. Would this be the case for LinHES as well? I am considering a solid-state disk for my new Frontend and I want to make sure I have enough disk space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:52 pm 
I have an old 10 gig drive (REALLY old) in my frontend. I can check the free space, but I believe it's 60 %.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:12 pm 
Nice, thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:34 pm 
I'd say more then 4g to be safe. But what about diskless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:35 pm 
As noted here I am running an R6 FE fine with a 4GB drive and 20% free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:27 pm 
I agree with Too Many Secrets. Why bother with a drive at all. Diskless is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:09 pm 
Diskless as in run from the CD? Then I can't use the DVD drive for watching DVDs... Plus, I don't believe you can run 0.22 that way, right? I think a drive just offers more flexibility and seems more like a permanent frontend.

Diskless is fine for a temporary frontend, but I prefer to have a drive for a permanent installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:39 am 
A diskless frontend boots off the network and the root partition for the FE is served by NFS from the backend. It should be fine for a permanent installation. I have two that have separate configurations. The configuration tweaks (xorg, remotes etc) are stored in separate NFS roots.

If the hardware configuration of the frontends is similar enough to the backend, it is *really* easy to setup. Just pacman -S diskless-legacy and run config_diskless_frontend.bash. That creates the NFS root and configures the backend so that the two will connect. Then boot the frontend from the network and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 am 
Meh, maybe in the future. For now I'll just stick with what makes sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 pm 
I'll throw in for diskless too... it might take a while to set up correctly, but it's worth it. No noisy hard drive for the frontend in my bedroom! Been running one for a few months now without issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm 
Noisy hard drive? I find the fans on the CPU and Power Supply more than drown out any possible noise a hard drive could make.

The one complaint for a HD would be heat. Although, in a frontend, the HD should be getting hit that often...

I may look into diskless in the future, but I have this computer up and running as it is. Don't fix what aint broke, eh? Plus the WAF goes down when stuff breaks because you were "trying something"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
I am considering a solid-state disk for my new Frontend
Rereading this thread, I have to ask: Assuming it's going to be used only as a FE, why would you even want to do this? As you already noted, on an FE system the vast majority of your data is coming over the network, so except for bootup and some caching/buffering during playback the HD should barely be used.

The only reasons I can see are for quicker boot time and to minimize system footprint. In either case though an 8GB or 16GB USB stick should work just as well as a full SSD that costs 3-4 times as much... or is that what you meant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 pm 
Yeah, I was thinking of a CF to SATA adapter and a CF card. Not an actual SSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
If the hardware configuration of the frontends is similar enough to the backend, it is *really* easy to setup. Just pacman -S diskless-legacy and run config_diskless_frontend.bash. That creates the NFS root and configures the backend so that the two will connect. Then boot the frontend from the network and enjoy.

Greg: I'm going to setup a new FE later this week with a Zotac IONITX-C. Is this really that easy? (run pacman, execute script). The backend is quite different from the Zotac. Where do you execute the script from? Backend or frontend? I'm running 0.22 does that create any caveats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:16 pm 
You run the script on the backend. The only caveat is that you need a big enough root partition (because it has to hold the root directory for the frontend too). I setup my Acer Aspire Revo R3610 last night and it was as simple as running the script and then adjusting some xorg settings. Then setting any mythtv settings that you like (themes, playback profiles etc). Im still on 0.21 but will be changing to 0.22 so I can use VDPAU on the revo.

The main problem would be if you have a card that needs a different nvidia driver. Just ssh to the frontend after it boots and remove and re-install that appropriate packages.

Go to page 1, 2  Next