View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:53 am 
I am new to using Mythwelcome, so I have done a bit of research and found that my system works, when I set the BIOS correctly as per http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup I have used the mythwelcome test script and the system shutdown and then woke up only thing is the Frontend started automatically, is this an issue?

Now I am stuck, I am not sure what to put in the fields for the Shutdown/Wakeup Options, here is what I currently have:
Startup command: [blank]
Block shutdown before client connectd: [unchecked]
Idle shutdown timeout (secs): 300
Max. wait for recording (min): 30
Startup before rec. (secs): 600
Wakeup time format: yyyy-MM-ddThh:mm:ss
Command to set Wakeup Time: sudo /usr/bin/mythshutdown --setwakeup $time
Server halt command: sudo /usr/bin/mythshutdown --shutdown
Pre Shutdown check-command: sudo /usr/bin/mythshutdown --check

The problem is apart from not knowing what to put into the fields, when I have exited the Frontend and am at the Mythwelcome screen, the main message is "MythTV is idle." From what I understand I should be getting a count down or something. Could someone please take a gander at my settings listed above and let me know if they are alright.

Thanks all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 am 
Hi Girkers,

I'm at work atm so I can't check your settings against mine, however the you've got the time format right. But I'll check later for you. (Unless someone else beats me to it.) The only other thing to check is the path to the scripts - again I can post back later with that information. You should be able to check yourself though as there is a full instructions in the mythwelcometest script. If memory serves.

You should get a countdown on the Mythwelcome screen, (it goes in 10 second blocks) then your box shutsdown. Hopefully followed by a startup prior to making a recording.

If the test script works, Mythwelcome should work - its just getting all the settings right. Using the test script does drop you back into the frontend, whereas under normal usage you do boot to the mythwelcome page.

My ide for shutdown is 30 secs. I don't want it sitting around for ages before shutting down, equally I've my Max wait for recording down to 10 mins.

HTH

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 am 
Those settings look correct but to make sure you can run the mythwelcome-config.py. That should make the settings correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm 
Have you modified mythwelcome --setup? If not you will need to. Here is the procedure I followed recently to get my newly installed R6 to work.

From terminal run mythwelcome –-setup
Change Command to Set Wakeup Time to
sudo sh -c “/usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-set-alarm.sh $time”
Remove nvram-wakeup Restart Command
Command to start Frontend:
/usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log

I found after doing this that a command would reappear in the nvram-wakeup Restart Command box which I would have to re-delete. After that it works fine.

I also had issues with countdown getting down to 0, waiting a minute then restarting the countdown. Examination of the /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log generally highlighted the problem which was usually a typo on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 am 
I knew others would get to it before me...

(Thanks guys.)

In the past I occasionally had issues with Mythwelcome not shutting down if there was a queued job lurking around such as an unfinished DVD burn or similar. This may be a non-issue now though.

Hope this has fixed you up Girkers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:31 am 
brfransen wrote:
Those settings look correct but to make sure you can run the mythwelcome-config.py. That should make the settings correct.

I had tried this a couple of times and could not get it to work. Found that you need to run the command as the mythtv user. It seems to work great now, the only issue is the wife picking the wrong option when exiting the frontend. I have to change the options so she can only quit instead of shutdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 am 
But what if I followed this thread - and mythfrontend novertheless starts allways automatically - so the countdown for shutting down odesnt work?

Mystique CaBiX-C2, PVR-350, PVR-250, Terratec CinergyT² & DBOX2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 am 
wulf, I can't help you with that, you may be better served starting a new thread and putting your details in that.

I personally have had that happen on a couple of occassions, but its rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:55 am 
wulf wrote:
But what if I followed this thread - and mythfrontend novertheless starts allways automatically - so the countdown for shutting down odesnt work?
Do you mean if you start the computer or if it wakes up to record? If you start the computer, the frontend is supposed to start.

If the frontend starts even when the computer wakes up to record by itself, then you are probably starting both mythwelcome and mythfrontend when X starts. Only mythwelcome should be started. mythwelcome will start the frontend only if it did not wake up to record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 pm 
In earlier version of MythTV, I was able to specify a "max wait for recording" of less than 15 minutes. I'd do this in testing a system so I knew for sure it would work. I'd schedule a recording to being in about 7 minutes. I'd see the system shutdown and turn on to record. Handy for testing multiple shows in a short period of time.

However with 0.23, it appears the time is hardcorded to 15 minutes. After monkeying with various systems, I finally noticed the problem after looking at
Code:
mythshutdown -v all --shutdown
Keep this in mind if the system fails to shutdown for you.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!