View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Damn interlaced TV set
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm 
Well here I am again. For those of you who have not met me, let me introduce myself. I'm the only fool on the planet still using a bigscreen CRT as my output device -- a very nice output device that unfortunately will only accept INTERLACED output at 1920x1080 (on a VGA connector).

I have a spanking new R7 box I've been toying with upstairs (on a LCD monitor) and now I'm trying to put it in "production" downstairs. I'm facing a disaster. My modelines are completely wrong, my nVidia card (an 8200 on the mainboard) won't agree on ANY modes and I'm stuck with a tearing picture and I can't even see the on-screen menus.

Fortunately I have ssh access, but this new-fangled Arch stuff is so totally different (awesome, I'm sure, but different) that I can't even manually add a damn modeline and get things up again. Hell, I don't even have an xorg.conf file! I have a whole DIRECTORY of files under xorg.conf.d! Wassup with that?!?!

So I'm completely stuck. I can't run any of the graphical setup programs at all, I can ssh into the box but I can't edit the xorg.conf file manually, and from what I'm reading, many nVidia cards DON'T DO INTERLACED AT ALL!!!!

Can life get worse??

-- Liv2cod, a.k.a. Joe Barnhart

Post subject: Found a solution?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am 
I manually edited a file in the directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and added a manual modeline, as well as turned off all of the "automatic" discovery. Lo and behold, I seem to have a working display!

I'm just an old curmudgeon who gets rattled when confronted with newfangled tech like "arch linux"... ;-) I hope these settings I put in manually don't get overwritten on the next reboot. We shall see.

Meanwhile, I've jumped over numerous releases all the way to LinHES v7! Hooray for the home team!

-- Liv2cod

Post subject: Re: Found a solution?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:05 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I hope these settings I put in manually don't get overwritten on the next reboot. We shall see.

They shouldn't. I still have one CRT left and I did the same as you (creating a custom modeline). It has never been over written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm 
Liv2Cod -

You mentioned that you jumped over several releases to v7. Just wondering which ones you skipped? I am thinking of going from R5F27 to Linhes 7.2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:42 pm 
I went from 5.5 straight to 7.03. I had watched my shows so I was not trying to migrate but do a "new" build from scratch. I even picked new hardware since I was tired of the old box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 pm 
I've made my xorg.conf changes just by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf under 6.04. Haven't made the jump to 7 yet. Is xorg.conf gone in 7.2?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 am 
Yeah, it's gone. But Cecil told me I could put xorg.conf in the /home/mythtv directory and it will supersede the "new" automatic stuff. Otherwise my changes keep getting lost when the automagic configurator runs.