View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:40 am 
I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard and in an attempt to try to figure out where occasional freezing was coming from I replaced the onboard 6150 video card with a 9500GT. Running R6.01 I updated the nvidia nvidia-utils, and libvdpau. Everything came up after that, but despite my TV recognizing the resolution at 1920x1080, the visible area was in the middle of the TV with black bars on either side, as if it was playing a 4:3 video on the 16:9 display. It was cutting off the areas that were not visible, but they still existed, because if I connected through vnc everything was there.

The only way I was able to get things to show up "normally" was to set my TV setting to wide and use the nvidia-settings overscan feature. However, as you may imagine, this makes things somewhat fuzzy. I have switched the resolution to 1280x720 but it has the same problem. I am using the DVI->HDMI output, the same as I used with the 6150. I have upgraded to R6.03 with absolutely no change.

Is this just a problem with my TV since I have not seen others have issues with the 9500 GT card? It was a Best Buy Dynex brand 1080p TV, I don't have the model off-hand. The other thing I have noticed with this new video card is that the TV speakers now make a popping noise when the linhes box is on. The optical SPDIF cable does not connect to the TV, it goes right to the surround sound.

Any suggestions on the video "clipping" issue? I'm at my whits end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:08 am 
Try
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 pm 
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure I was overthinking it. I accidentally reset my TV to factory defaults in the process of all of this. I decided to start over and reconnect the 6150. When I did, it was squashed as well. So, the widescreen setting on the TV was necessary. The 9500GT was overscanning a lot, which I think caused some blur when the nvidia-settings option was set to compensate for it (setting was around 76).

In any case, I have removed the 9500GT for the time being and am back on the 6150 with 720p resolution instead of 1080p and 6.03 instead of 6.01. Since it is new software and a lower resolution, I am going to retain this setup for now and if I continue to have freezing, I will try the 9500GT again.

While the 9500GT was installed I tried VDPAU but had a lot of artifacts with HD. In the limited amount of time I tested it, I had no problems with SD. Also, the 9500GT was causing the popping noises on the TV speakers where the 6150 does not. Even with the same nvidia drivers.

Thanks again for the response and sorry for the false alarm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 pm 
Still getting lockups in 6.03 so it must be hardware related. I have reinserted the 9500GT card.

Thankfully I ran across a link on the mythtv.org site which resolved my overscan and audio popping issues with one fix. There is a tool to modify the edid file and strip the audio information from it. For whatever reason it corrected overscanning as well. In case anybody else would like to try it, the mythtv.org link is here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_ ... VI_to_HDMI