View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Xymon Orphan Warning
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:09 pm 
I am running Linhes 8.1 and in the past several weeks (months?) I have noticed Xymon's OSD occasionally warn that there is a red condition on Orphans. I will go to the health & maintenance page and find that it logged a zero byte recording which lasted for 5 minutes. I will then run find_orphans.py and it will return nothing. I think the OSD message tends to happen sometimes after a channel change or one program ends and another begins, but I do not notice any performance issues when watching. I am using a HDHomerun Prime over a Gigabit switch and I can't think of the last time anything changed in hardware or software on my machine unless something has updated unintentionally. I am just wondering if there is a way to suppress the OSD message or at least make it wait longer to popup which might reduce the false positives. I have looked through the Xymon configuration files a bit and found some settings for some of the other conditions but nothing on Orphans yet. It's just a minor inconvenience as I think it happens several times a day if watching live tv all day, but the message doesn't last long and it does not noticeably affect performance otherwise.

Post subject: Re: Xymon Orphan Warning
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:27 pm 
Hi

I have a HdHomerun OTA and it has been working fine for since I upgraded to R8 R8.1. The system looks fine. I notice once and a while a little trouble with ABC but that is more of a weak signal issue. I also have HDHomerun prime that is not currently hooked up.

Rather than supress the message I would recommend to try to isolate the problem. Generally speaking a weak signal will create a zero byte file. Since your network is good I would look at the cable line how many times is it split? How does the coax cable look to the prime?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:14 am 
Hi RacerX. The bizarre thing is that from the frontend I don't notice anything. It's not like it kicks me back to the menu or gives any error messages. Live TV keeps playing. I only have one two-way splitter between the cable modem and the HDHomerun prime. Unlike the original HDHomerun, I do not have to split it going into the prime. There just happened to be a cable outage in my area yesterday so once it was back up I checked the cable modem levels and they all looked extremely good as best I can tell.

Right now I am looking at the HDHomeRun Config on ABC HD and it is reading:
Signal Strength: 92%
Signal Quality: 100%
Symbol Quality: 100%

Aside from yesterday's outage, the history on xymon recently has been red on orphans:
Fri Jul 04 15:01:50 2014 for 5 minutes and 1 second
Fri Jul 04 11:01:16 2014 for 5 minutes and 0 seconds
Fri Jul 04 06:30:30 2014 for 5 minutes and 1 second
Thu Jul 03 17:36:53 2014 for 10 minutes and 3 seconds
Thu Jul 03 17:16:51 2014 for 5 minutes and 0 seconds
Thu Jul 03 16:41:45 2014 for 5 minutes and 2 seconds
Thu Jul 03 12:31:13 2014 for 5 minutes and 0 seconds
Thu Jul 03 11:46:06 2014 for 5 minutes and 1 second
Wed Jul 02 21:37:28 2014 for 5 minutes and 0 seconds

and it pretty much goes on like that. Are there any other logs that would provide any help? Is it maybe having trouble tuning and so it switches to a different tuner behind the scenes so that it's imperceptible? There probably is a perfectly good explanation, but I might need some help finding it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am 
Are you aware that you can use this script to clean up the orphans from the database?

Code:
find_orphans.py

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:35 pm 
knappster, I have a similar setup and I see the same thing you do. If I look at my xymon history there are "red" orphan events for a long time. I never could find out why but whatever causes it seems to rectify within hours (find_orphans.py usually finds nothing).

At first I ignored it but when I enabled email notifications, it became annoying so I disabled orphan monitoring. Problem masked...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:39 pm 
nbdwt73 wrote:
knappster, I have a similar setup and I see the same thing you do. If I look at my xymon history there are "red" orphan events for a long time. I never could find out why but whatever causes it seems to rectify within hours (find_orphans.py usually finds nothing).

At first I ignored it but when I enabled email notifications, it became annoying so I disabled orphan monitoring. Problem masked...

Do you remember how you went about disabling only orphan monitoring? I think I may want to do the same for the time being...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:01 pm 
knappster wrote:
Do you remember how you went about disabling only orphan monitoring? I think I may want to do the same for the time being...

I'm seeing the same 0 byte orphans, but they auto expire quickly so I ignore the messages. Figured I should test a little more incase it gets annoying.

If you access LinHES using a web browser and click the "Health & Maintenance" menu, then at the top of the screen click the "Administration", then click the "enable/disable" menu, you should be presented with a screen that allows you to pick your host and then the test you want to disable.

Testing on my system, I select my MBE and the Orphan test, enter something in Cause (this is a note section, so I entered Test), checked the Duration check box "Until OK" , made sure that disable now was checked and clicked apply. This disabled the orphans test, checking on the "Health & Maintenance" menu, the orphans indicator started flashing blue.

Regards.
Bruce.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm 
Sorry for the lateness - been traveling. There are two things that I do - first is an entry in alerts.cfg (mine is HOST=* SERVICE=* EXSERVICE=conn,myth_mtc,func... You can exclude several here). The other is in the hosts.cfg. Check out the man page or the help drop down on the main xymon screen.