View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 am 
While trying to sign up for this board I discovered I was already registered! I made some posts to it back when I was first fiddling with Myth using Knoppmyth. How time files (or flies)!

A couple years after making those posts I started flailing away at Mythbuntu--having been a Debia/Ubuntu user for a few years. I had success with Mythbuntu, and have been using it since 8.04 or so. Meantime, I decided to look into Arch on my non-media-center PC. I've pretty much established myself in the Arch camp now.

So, I recently decided to upgrade my Myth box. Parts are on the way and I now must decide which Myth distro to put on it. I'd been assuming I'd stick with Mythbuntu, especially after looking at the Myth entry on the Arch wiki, which is seriously out of date (it still advises to edit innitab, for example, despite the fact that systemd has been the init system on Arch for something like a couple years now). Then, while perusing the Myth user mailing list archives recently, I ran across LinHES, which seems to be based on Arch. So I'm now considering whether to go with LinHES once my new hardware arrives.

As to how I use my Myth, it's been mainly used for recording and viewing television broadcasts. I'm not much of a movie fan so I don't use it much for that. I did load my music collection onto it, but find myself not using that much either. I do check the weather occassionally. And also very rarely I show some of my photos on the Myth system.

I'm guessing this project is probably a bit less active than Mythbuntu, correct? Anyway, I'll be looking over documentation as I make my decision about whether to abandon Mythbuntu and go with this distro. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 am 
So I just ran across the Arch wiki item on LinHES. It is also out of date (says current stable release is 7.4, dated Aug. 2012)--but not quite as badly outdated as the Arch wiki entry on Mythtv. It also lists Mythtv 0.23 as the latest version, which is clearly inaccurate. Anyway, I like some things I see on the wiki: lighttpd looks to m a better choice than Apache, for example. The installation and upgrade process looks easy and familiar as well, given my background in Arch. One clarification: the wiki entry says that the R6 version was using an alternative init system--namely, runit. Has LinHES by now, along with Arch, switched over to systemd as the init system? Not that I'm particularly fond of systemd: I would have been fine sticking with sysvinit, to be frank.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 pm 
LinHES has used runit since R6 and continues to in R8.3. There are no plans at this point to switch to systemd.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 pm 
The target hardware is a new Liva X, techinal specs for which can be found at http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 93&LanID=0 (this will be the 4GB RAM, 64 GB main driver version). I see that someone else on the mythtv-users list has installed Mythbuntu on this hardware; says he had to upgrade to 14.10 to get everything working--see http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mytht ... 76921.html.

Another user on that list says he has gotten very good results using the less powerful version (2 GB RAM, 32 GB main drive) of this device as a FE/BE combination--which is the same thing I aim to do. See http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mytht ... 75187.html for further details. That fellow is a Gentoo user, btw, so he's compiled all from source, setting appropriate flags for his hardware. I tried Gentoo about 10 years ago--a friend who was a Gentoo enthusiast having done the initial installation for me--but it proved a bit too challenging/time consuming for me. I'd rather not go through that process again, despite the fact that I'd learn some things from it and could end up with an optimally-tweaked GNU/Linux installation.

Anyone have thoughts on how LinHES might install and run on a device like this? Any potential pitfalls anyone can spot? Thanks