View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm 
I don't think making a copy of /data gains you much. The borked db is mounted at /data/srv/mysql so if you want a copy of that maybe. If you used add_storage.py to add the other drive it is mounted in /data/storage/ so copying that is circular. The rest in /data is recreated. Your /home maybe but that should be in the system backup already. Maybe double check that.

Going to R8.4.2 now with doing a partial restore should be easy. After the partial restore don't start mythbackend until you have gone into mythtv-setup. It will ask you to update the DB scheme because of the update from mythtv .27 (what was in R8.3) and mythtv .28. Then proceed with adding back tuners.

Yes you can skip the setup done on first boot after install and do the partial restore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:51 pm 
Well I am back up and running. I initially installed 8.4.2 but at the first reboot it could not find a bootable disk. I had encountered this before and previously was able to to reassign sda1 as bootable with fdisk but could not do it this time. When I booted to gparted it had sda1 listed as bootable. So I gave up and went back to 8.3.

Most things came back automatically although when I tried to connect to the secondary disk with add_storage.py --no-destruction it wanted to format the drive so I quickly backed out. I had to alter /etc/fstab to recognise my secondary disk and pointed storage groups to it. I had to copy my customised 20-automv.conf to /etc/x11/xorg.conf.d.

At the moment I am trying to get kodi to run (nothing happens). Running from a terminal I get an error message saying can't find libGLEW.so.1.13. A quick search indicates /usr/lib/libGLEW.so.1.11 exists. Does this need to be updated?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 pm 
I just tried to check for updates by the menu. It indicated there were many updates available however when I pressed install updates it just immediately said complete and the available updates list did not change. I then though I would see what was happening on the command line using the .../updates2.sh command which I gleaned from the menu xml files. Even though the available updates list seemed specific to myth 0.27 a number of 0.28 versions were downloaded. I now seem to have upgraded to 8.4.2 and everything looks OK. As you said it said it asked me to update the schema which it did almost instantly before giving a message that a user is attached. Is that normal? It has not asked again for a schema update.

With the update the problems with kodi went away. I still have to get the remote connections, auto shutdown & startup and media backup working.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 am 
The boot issue is interesting. I have seen that 1 time myself but it was years ago and it ended up being a disk with bad blocks at the beginning because after running Spinrite it installed and worked correctly.

The correct switch is add_storage.py --no_destruction. Underscore not hyphen. All options can be viewed with add_storage.py -h.

If you wanted to stay at R8.3 you would need to modify your repos in /etc/pacman.conf to core.r8.3 and extra.r8.3. Without changing the repos doing an update will get you the latest that in the release repos.

It is odd that update from the UI went as quick as you say. It should have taken a couple minutes as there are many package updates from R8.3 to what is currently in the repos. What does cat /etc/LinHES-release give you? Maybe run sudo pacman -Syu to make sure it is fully updated.

Did the schema update happen with mythfrontend or when you ran mythtv-setup? If I remember right the are 2 schema updates, one done when mythtv-setup is run and another when mythfrontend is done.

The instructions for upgrading to R8.4 from R8.3 are here: http://linhes.org/versions/show/29#From-R83

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm 
With regard to the boot problem I later found some posts about it which seem peculiar to old motherboards (~10 years) like mine dealing with UEFI boots.

I checked back over my shell commands and I did use the underscore not hyphen, just a mistake in my post.

According to /etc/LinHES-release I am at 8.4.2, and pacman -Syu indicates I am up to date. I did not particularly want to stay at 8.3, I only wanted the simplest way of getting the machine back working.

The schema update only happened once from the frontend while the backend was going (I think). I have subsequently been into mythtv-setup and it has not requested another update. Is there anyway to check or force the update?

Thanks for the link to the update instructions. I had read them before but could not find them yesterday. I was looking in the wiki guides not the roadmap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 pm 
If it is running the schema update was done. If it had failed you would have to search the logs which is why it is recommended to run mythtv-setup as you get UI of success or failure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:31 pm 
Why didn't you just buy a router and stick it between your computer's and the internet providers modem? Then you could pick whatever IP address you wanted. I never trust the ISPs modem to do the routing, DHCP, or DNS in my house.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:54 pm 
Quote:
Why didn't you just buy a router and stick it between your computer's and the internet providers modem? Then you could pick whatever IP address you wanted. I never trust the ISPs modem to do the routing, DHCP, or DNS in my house.
I did try that originally before changing IP addresses but when I switched off DHCP I lost all contact and had to do a factory reset on it. The new modem is very customised by the provider (Telstra - Australia's main carrier) and very locked down. They don't even provide a manual so I gave up and thought that changing the IPs would be easier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 am 
There should be no need to turn off DHCP on the LAN side of the modem. In fact it is probably needed to give the router a WAN IP. Most routers can configure a static WAN IP so that it can connect to the modem but I don't see the point in your case. If the modem is locked down don't make any adjustments on it that you don't have to. Adjust the router settings to make it work. Connect all your clients to the LAN side of your router and use the router's DHCP server. The two DHCP servers (modem and router) won't interfere because the are different segments of the network separated by the router's WAN/LAN. Basically make all your clients connect to the router and make the router the only client of the modem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm 
Well I think I can now now say I am back up and running as before. Thanks for your help.

Go to page Previous  1, 2