View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Kodi Version For LinHES
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 am 
The latest version of Kodi in the repository is 16.1. This is what I have installed. Kodi development has not only gone through the 16.x series but also the 17.x series and is getting ready to release in the 18.x series. I am wondering why Kodi in the LinHES repository is stagnant (bad word with a bad connotation but it's the best one I can think of at the moment). So why has Kodi not kept up? No demands. No pressure. Just wondering. There were some security issues addressed in the 17.x series and that got me wondering.

sparks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
I don't use it or have a need for it and the last few versions have taken me many hours to build with all the new deps they seem to add with every update. If someone wants to provide a working PKGBUILD for Kodi and any new deps that aren't in the LinHES repo and add them to the issue (http://linhes.org/issues/1011) that would help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm 
I have used kodi a bit since upgrading to 8.5.1 and it seems to perform very well. I would be interested in upgrading to kodi 18 Where I believe there is active development on a netflix add-on. I don't have any experience with making pkgbuild files but I have compiled some applications from source over the years. I would be happy to attempt this but I don't have a trial system and am afraid of breaking this system. Do you have any advice on what I would need to do to setup a linhes chroot to try this out without impacting the libraries and binaries on my live system?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:32 pm 
I have done this... Not hard but tedious. First - and MOST IMPORTANT - clone your production drive. You will be making changes that can hose it. Then... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO_compile_K ... ch/Manjaro. Just a side note - I always keep a cloned copy of my production drive in an open bay in my server. Every time I do a major system change I re-clone it. Has saved my ass many times over the years (I tend to push the envelope on what I run on my Arch box).

This requires that you install many packages from repos that linHES doesn't normally use. It has been awhile since I did this but I don't remember any real issues.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:04 pm 
I understand, but if it is all done in chroot it should not hose anything except the chroot system. I would likely clone the system anyway. I just don't know how easy it will be to chroot linhes since it is a custom distro. Some have tools that will automatically download the base system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm 
if you want to really be safe you could install LinHES in a virtual machine and test there first. Video and audio playback performance aren't perfect but it would allow you to play in a safe environment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
if you want to really be safe you could install LinHES in a virtual machine and test there first. Video and audio playback performance aren't perfect but it would allow you to play in a safe environment.

That sounds like a smart idea. Installing a frontend only with no connection to my backend in Virtualbox on a laptop while backing up my combined frontend/backend. I'll try my luck with the Kodi 17.3 since it is the latest stable release and see how that goes before trying to tackle the latest source on GIT.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am 
I wasn't having any luck building from source, but I was able to download packages from the current arch linux repositories and successfully launch Kodi 17.6. Unfortunately one of the dependencies was libpulse, so I don't know if audio will work and I didn't test it before on the Virtual Machine. I will try to do some verification tomorrow if I get some time. In total I think there were only 7 packages that required installation/update.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:41 pm 
I was able to tweak the PKGBUILD file in the LinHES repository and get Kodi 17.6 to install without any other packages that are not already in the repository. I don't see a method of attaching PKGBUILD in the issue linked earlier, what is the best method for sharing it? I used the other files that were already in the kodi repository in LinHES and installed all of the make dependencies and it installed and launched without issue. I have not tested this beyond installing, running, adding an add-on and testing a video had sound all in a Virtualbox instance of LinHES 8.5.1.

Any suggestions before I try to load the compiled package into a production system?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 am 
This link has some basic instructions for building a package on LinHES.

I build everything in a chroot and then if it is very invasive package (system libraries, could affect boot process, etc) I test in Virtual Box or a dev box. If it isn't a very invasive package (like kodi) I would install it on one of my production boxes as pacman uninstall and reinstall the old pkg works.

Also if it is a pkg that we have in our repo you can look at git to see how it was built. If there is a __changlog file that should contain what was modified from the arch pkg to make it work or build for LinHES. Using Kodi as an example (http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/ ... ?h=testing) we remove libpulse stuff as we don't use libpulse in LH.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 pm 
I've built the binary a couple times already and I will probably do so one more time tonight for 64-bit architecture only since that is what is supported by linhes. I will be honest, though, that I have no idea how to determine what the dependencies should be. I looked at the diffs in the pkgbuild for both linhes and arch and it wasn't clear to me. As I mentioned, I just made small changes to get it to compile the binary for 17.6. Once it is built in my virtualbox environment I will likely try it on my production system over the weekend. If it doesn't crash and burn I will send details to brfransen in a pm.

I have a raspberry pi with kodi 17 running on it and playback performed better in kodi than mythtv 0.27. I haven't evaluated since the upgrade to 29, but I think that kodi could make a respectable mythtv frontend in some circumstances. It would be useful if it had players for legitimate subscription streaming services like netflix, but I think there is ongoing development.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 am 
Please attach the PKGBUILDs to http://linhes.org/issues/1011 You need to have an account and be signed in but then you can update the issue and add files.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm 
10-4, I see the area to attach files now.
I just compiled the pvr-mythtv addon as well. Seems to be functional on my test system. I'll try to give it a more thorough test on my production system this weekend and if all goes well, I will upload the PKGBUILDs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 am 
I tried to attach the files this morning but get the error message from the attached screenshot. Any suggestions?

Attachments
Error.png
Error.png [ 7.67 KiB | Viewed 13076 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm 
I uploaded the files to a google drive and posted the link on the issues page. Just a couple things I've discovered through my testing today.

1) After installing the mythtv.pvr plugin, kodi would sometimes crash on startup. This is apparently a known Kodi issue which can be resolved by disabling "Guide Caching" in the addon in Kodi. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2672972

2) There is a Pandora addon called Pandoki. It worked fine on my trial virtualbox frontend only, but it would not work on my production combined FE/BE. I tracked it down to package python2-pyopenssl. It isn't installed on the frontend only box, but it appears to be required as part of mythweb on the backend. The Pandoki python script appears to look for pyopenssl and falls back to something else if it's not available, so I just modified the script:
NOTE: instead of doing this, please review the more appropriate fix viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24725&p=141922#p141922
~/.kodi/addons/plugin.audio.pandoki/resources/lib/pandoki/pandoki.py
commented out the following lines at the top:
Code:
#try:
#    import urllib3
#    import urllib3.contrib.pyopenssl
#    urllib3.contrib.pyopenssl.inject_into_urllib3()
#    _urllib3 = True
#except ImportError:
#    _urllib3 = False
#    pass

and added
Code:
_urllib3 = False

Seems to work okay now. I would really like to try out Kodi 18 to see how the netflix addon works. I may try it on a different system if I can find a binary to see if it is worth trying to compile for LinHES. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited by knappster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page 1, 2  Next