View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:42 am 
Trying to install R6 to another box and I've been looking at the "Please wait, mythtv is preparing for life" screen for the past 30 minutes. At the bottom of the screen it has says "runnning system config in chroot." Can I see some debug info somewhere to determine where it's failing? I tried looking at other TTYs but couldn't get the installer to display anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:03 pm 
I saw this on a test system - I didn't have the network cable plugged in and the pacman process apparently doesn't timeout. Check to see if you have network connectivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 pm 
Network is fine... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 pm 
This may or may not be helpful info, but I had this happen during an upgrade in a comparable spot. It turned out to be a script constantly stopping and restarting MySQL. IIRC I was able to login to another TTY and found it via ps -ef to look for stuck processes, then doing tail -f on the file and seeing it constantly stopping and restart. I don't remember the exact details but I know it involved chroot... search my older posts for more info.

If this is in fact what's going on then the actual problem is probably something related to the drive preparation or network setup, as it's prevented the MySQL install/setup from working correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:08 am 
I read your post here but I don't think mine died when yours did.

paulsid wrote:
When I booted the CD again to look at my options, I noticed the comment at the bottom that says Upgrade only wipes the first partition. Figured I could live with that so I did a full backup of / and then tried the Upgrade without picking Do_not_format this time, and it made it all the way through!

Dunno where you saw an option to "Upgrade without picking Do_not_format" in the installer. All I can do is start or not. I have no idea how to figure out which process is stuck; ps -ef | more gave pages and pages of results. I think this is a pretty serious bug :) What is your flyspray task? I searched by found nothing.

I could try a fresh install, then plan to manually copy over my backups and restore, then dump all the data from my old drive AGAIN to the new one. This would suck and take hours though.

<Hoping someone with some knowledge about the installer can help>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:23 pm 
If it is the exact same problem then the file /tmp/chroot.db should show up in ps -ef | grep chroot. However, in hindsight it was probably quite a leap to connect the two situations. Sorry about that. Hope I didn't lead you on too much of a wild goose chase there.

P.S. For the record, where the Upgrade options let you pick the root filesystem type, Do_Not_Format is one of the options. However I never did open a flyspray task on that because I lost all the detailed info (logs, etc.) in my scramble to get things going after fixing the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:35 am 
Thanks for the info. I ended-up doing this the manual way described here. Ah hell, I just wrote up a howto based on that post here. Maybe one of us should open up a flyspray task even without logs? Since you discovered this first, do you wanna do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:38 pm 
FS #587 opened on my issue. However it sounds like these are two separate problems, so it might be better if you opened a separate ticket I think. Will leave that up to you though...