View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
I have an old PC I'm want to repurpose as a BE. I just tried booting from the LiveCD and it fails at the main menu. The screen goes to the blue background, but there's a black bar at the top and "to" in large white text along with some black boxes. Tried w/o the splash screen and I didn't see anything wrong and it died the same. If I force VESA it goes to a black screen instead.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 512MB nForce 420

Any suggestions on what to try and where to look? I was able to boot the CD okay in my laptop, so the CD should be okay.

Oh, and if I could suggest making the ISO just a wee bit smaller. It wouldn't fit on a 650MB CD-RW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:38 pm 
Since you did not mention anything about a graphics card. Assuming your board has an AGP slot. I would recommend using an AGP Nvidia 5200 256mb or 512mb graphics card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm 
RacerX wrote:
Since you did not mention anything about a graphics card. Assuming your board has an AGP slot. I would recommend using an AGP Nvidia 5200 256mb or 512mb graphics card.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this will be a back end server only, so I don't need (or want) a graphics card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm 
I think you are a little confused. To clarify I suspected that your were trying to use the old onboard graphics that probably are no longer complaint with R5/R6 ... more specifically the nvidia driver. Here is the old historical info.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=VideoCards

I suggested trying an 5200 agp video card because I know from experience that that it works correctly with old hardware and it's dirt cheap on Ebay.

That's all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am 
Ahh, that's unfortunate as this will be a back end server only, so I don't need anything more than VGA. (Unfortunately, forcing vesa goes to a black screen and I couldn't event drop back to the command line.)

Last night I'd managed to drop to the command line and saw errors which pointed to issues with X & the nVidia drivers. So I suspected that was the source of the problem.

Thanks for the pointer to the wiki, I'll check and see if any of the cards in my junk box fits the bill. I apologize that I didn't understand your initial response.