View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 pm 
Hello

This evening I decided to move to Release R6.02

First, I followed Cecil's Advice and cleaned up all the junk in the home folder and then kicked off mythbackup from the shell. It backed up my system successfully and then I launched the script.

Code:
sudo pacman -Sy linhes-scripts
sudo upgrade_to_0.22.sh

I have been using Knoppmyth/Linhes for a long time and this was the smoothest upgrade ever.

First, by running the script is showed me everything that was happening during the upgrade. That made me feel a lot better about it.

Second, The whole upgrade took about 18 minutes :!: No downloading the iso and burning the cd and then having to reload the whole thing hoping the cd is good. My System is AMD X2 2.4GHZ so it's not slow and my cable internet connection is fast. Very nice...

Third, applications like firefox and XBMC were not affected at all. Configurations are still the same, even bookmarks.

Fourth, storage groups video files are autodetected. No problems

Fifth, myth .22 gui is really improving I can't wait till .23 is out.
XBMC is really pushing the frontend in a good way.

Thanks to everyone that made the upgrade really smooth

Fine work :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm 
Two simple lines, one nice upgrade! That was really painless! This approach rocks!

Memo - Corsair VS512MB533D2 512MB DDR2-533
Hard D - Hitachi T7K500 250GB Serial ATA
Wireless - Netgear wg311
Tuner Card - PVR-150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm 
Well said..

In regards to Samba

All you need to do is define your user password

Code:
smbpasswd -a <user>

All other samba configuation carries over... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am 
6.02 upgrade went seamlessly on my 'test' machine !

Kudos Cecil !

I'm going to run it awhile and observe before upgrading my wife's 'production' machine ! (...Sleeping dogs lie, and all...).... :lol:

Update: 3/7:

After a few days of routine function of the 6.01 upped to 6.02 machine, I did a clean install (from CD) on my wife's machine. (over a former 5.5 KM)

Routine- went good... works good... Just nits complaints (with Mythtv..)
the station icons in the listings are too big ! They were fine in 5.5 and 6.01.

I miss 'return to listing' after setting a recording.

I miss the radar page in Mythweather...

However it's function as a video center is un-paralleled.... :lol:

Last edited by snaproll on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:23 am 
Is manual installation without destroying the whole drive available in this release?

Ie if we already have another OS or partitions on the drive will the 6.02 release recognize it and not blitz the entire drive? If not, any idea which release this feature will be available in - I haven't been able to install R6 because of this issue. Thanks - DBB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:21 am 
dropbearsnbeer wrote:
Is manual installation without destroying the whole drive available in this release?

Ie if we already have another OS or partitions on the drive will the 6.02 release recognize it and not blitz the entire drive? If not, any idea which release this feature will be available in - I haven't been able to install R6 because of this issue. Thanks - DBB.

Nope, http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do ... ask_id=583

How Linux savvy are you? If you have a spare hdd around, install LH to it and manually copy over the data on the two key partitions (root and /myth) over to your existing hdd, fixup the /etc/fstab and make an entry in your existing grub menu.lst to boot into it. You might need to rebuild the kernel images to boot, which you can find in my guide. Works like a charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 am 
graysky wrote:
dropbearsnbeer wrote:

Nope, http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do ... ask_id=583

How Linux savvy are you? If you have a spare hdd around, install LH to it and manually copy over the data on the two key partitions (root and /myth) over to your existing hdd, fixup the /etc/fstab and make an entry in your existing grub menu.lst to boot into it. You might need to rebuild the kernel images to boot, which you can find in my guide. Works like a charm.

If I had a spare HD it wouldn't be a problem, but for the average user who might have Windows already installed but wants to dual boot to try out R6 (and keep their existing partitions) then this isn't an option. (I used to have fedora on the linux partition but thought I'd see how things have improved since R5)

I'll keep any eye on the flyspray log, but until it's fixed R6 isn't going to be of any use. I'm not trying to be rude - but for people with one HD looking to try linhes for the first time this is a real minus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm 
dropbearsnbeer wrote:
If I had a spare HD it wouldn't be a problem, but for the average user who might have Windows already installed but wants to dual boot to try out R6 (and keep their existing partitions) then this isn't an option. (I used to have fedora on the linux partition but thought I'd see how things have improved since R5)

Hmm... mythtv isn't a dual boot animal, it's a standalone beast. If you're really interested, have a look at some demo videos of mythtv on youtube. If you are ready to commit to having a mythtv box/boxes, go ahead and take the plunge, purchase the hardware and install R6. Just my 2 cents.

You can always give it a go in a virtualbox VM if you have a modern processor by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
Once upon a time I would have bought the "Don't have a spare hard drive" and "not an option" kind of argument.

Hard drive prices have gotten so low, I don't think it is a defensible position any more.

For my US friends, NewEgg has SATA hard drives starting at 34.99 with $6.95 shipping. Not that I'd want an 80 Gig drive for a pvr. But if the object is to try out LinHES inexpensively, that would sure do it.

Ten dollars more gets you 250 gigs. Twenty gets you 500 gigs -- many with free shipping. At $80 you get a terabyte, again with free shipping. Even up here in Canada prices are only about $15 more than those.

If you know any geeks, most of us have old computers with hard drives hanging around in the basement, or several hard drives sitting on a shelf. (A quick mental inventory reveals an embarrassing number) If you ask nicely, they would be more than happy to loan you a drive. Probably even give it to you, happy to see it being used rather than collecting dust.

Just a few options for you to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
graysky wrote:
Hmm... mythtv isn't a dual boot animal, it's a standalone beast.
To be fair, it isn't MythTV it is LinHES. Since the beginning of KnoppMyth, my policy has been appliance. There has not been official support for dual booting. Nor is there any plan to support dual booting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 am 
cecil wrote:
graysky wrote:
Hmm... mythtv isn't a dual boot animal, it's a standalone beast.
To be fair, it isn't MythTV it is LinHES. Since the beginning of KnoppMyth, my policy has been appliance. There has not been official support for dual booting. Nor is there any plan to support dual booting.

I meant LinHES, not mythtv but you get the idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 am 
ChapmanI wrote:
Ten dollars more gets you 250 gigs. Twenty gets you 500 gigs -- many with free shipping. At $80 you get a terabyte, again with free shipping. Even up here in Canada prices are only about $15 more than those.

89 bucks gets you 1.5 Terabytes.
http://www.frys.com/product/6002438?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm 
spideyk21 wrote:

LOL !.... :lol:

I used to think so too, but my 'clients' keep erasing stuff as they watch it, so all those tb drives I laid in with the best intentions, scarcely even get the surface scratched on their capacity.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:35 pm 
Site Admin
graysky wrote:
I meant LinHES, not mythtv but you get the idea :)
I do yes but others might get the wrong idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:49 am 
Regarding this dual-boot situation:

What if I just want to install 6.02 as a frontend-only (on a drive that has Windows on /sda1)? Do I have any options that are easier than graysky's method? My linux skills are only so-so.

Go to page 1, 2  Next