View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 am 
I installed 6.02.00 from a USB stick. The usbstick was created using the LinHES_R6.02.00.iso file using the unetbootin program. I guess this is not the standard way, but I had already downloaded the iso and didnt want to download the usbstick.tar.gz too. I selected the Linhes (default) boot option.

Issues I found:

1. On the screen where you select Upgrade or Full Install, the default was Full/Auto, but the settings only allowed for the selection of the OS filesystem (ext3,ext4 etc). All of the other stuff (os size, use swap, what to do with the remaining space, etc) was not available. This became available when I cycled through the selections and returned to Full/Auto. This may be because it thought I wanted to do an upgrade (for which you only select the OS file system), but if that was the case, the Installation Type should have defaulted to Upgrade.

2. On the network settings page, when I selected static IP address, the details that got filled in were for a 192.168.1 subnet. My home network is a 10.0.0 subnet. R6.01.00 seemed to know this and offered a sensible default IP and detected my router's IP address as the gateway. This is a slight regression, but not a big deal.

3. The installer gui does not always seem to run. Sometimes it just dumps you in X and all you see is the yellow background with "LinHES" and the penguin. Looking in Xorg.0.log, this message is near the end:
Code:
AUDIT: Thu Mar 11 11:06:05 2010: 4529 X: client 3 rejected from local host ( uid=0 gid=0 pid=4604 )
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
When this happened, I just restarted X (ctrl-alt-backspace) and when it came up again, the installer ran. Perhaps this is some sort of race condition that I am seeing because I am installing from USB stick?

4. There is a similar problem to problem 1 on the Host Settings page. If you change the Type of system setup to "Master_backend" (which should really be "Master Backend"), it shows the "Run the Frontend" option selected but doesnt show any frontend settings. Deselecting and then reselecting "Run the Frontend" allows you to enter the frontend options.

5. When I got to the Timezone screen, it Defaulted to US/Samoa and didnt run the hitchhiker autodetection. Hitting the hitchhiker button the first time did nothing. Hitting it again can the hitchhiker autodetect and it detected my timezone correctly.

6. I completed the install, but dont remember seeing the user/password screen. My root account is passwordless.

Last edited by Greg Frost on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 am 
I am actually doing an install as I type this and I have experienced the exact same issues from using a CD. That would indicate an issue with the installer not the medium.

With the net stuff I found a similar situation to the OS part, if you go forward and come back it then detected my network.