View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 am 
The motherboard (Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2) for my frontend-only box has a Marvell 88E8056 ethernet controller that worked fine in R5.5 but was dead after I installed R6. (The orange and green blinking lights were not on.)

I ran some Marvell utility that supposedly installed the appropriate driver. After that, the ethernet lights went on, and my router can now see my mythtv box, but can't communicate with it. And of course my frontend cannot connect to the backend.

All I want is a simple wired DHCP connection for eth0, but I can't get it working. The /etc/net/ifaces/eth0 file seems to be in good order, but ifconfig reveals that only the lo interface is running.

Is there some kind of R6 equivalent of netcardconfig that will just quickly redo my network settings? I'm running out of ideas here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm 
I am not running R6 yet but in my experience if the nic isn't seen then you need to insmod the driver module. Googling would help determine what module you need to insert. HTH, Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:02 pm 
Sadly the driver was unavailable, and I had to get a separate NIC that I knew was Linux compatible.

Now I'm having another networking problem. During the install phase of R6.02, I get a perfectly working dhcp connection. (The time zone is read correctly, and I can ping the box from a separate computer on the network.)

However, as soon as the installation ends and the computer reboots, the connection suddenly stops working. Everything seems to be configured correctly, but the system times out trying to get a dhcp address from the router. Even stranger, after the reboot my router still registers a "larch5", presumably the name of the computer while it was installing, but not "DVR," which was my chosen host name.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 am 
Anyone? This is a really vexing problem.

The NIC I'm using is a USB adapter, if that gives any clues. As I said above, it connects to the network without a problem during the install, but then doesn't work after a reboot. Does that suggest any fixes to anyone?