View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Dual display on R6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm 
I just bought a new projector to replace my old projector and have been having some video issues. On R5.5 both my LCD display on projector worked and it was just a matter of which I had on. With the new projector this wasn't the case so I thought I would take this opportunity to upgrade to R6. They will both work, just not at the same time. If they are both plugged in only the LCD will work on the VGA, if I unplug the LCD and restart X (alt-ctrl-backspace) then the projector will work fine.

Ideally I would like to be able to toggle between them with three modes like and external display on my laptop (ie. 1) just lcd, 2) just projector, 3) both). Is there a somewhat simple what to do this? What is changing when I restart X that will make one work or the other? xorg.conf? I am guessing it is some kind of resolution problem, but both accept many resolutions.

Any help would be appreciated,
JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:37 pm 
I believe the xrandr package can help you. Not sure if it's in the LinHES repos. It shouldn't be to hard to put together a package if it isn't.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject: Re: Dual display on R6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:01 am 
roofchop wrote:
What is changing when I restart X that will make one work or the other? xorg.conf?
Yes. I have an Nvidia FX5200 with DVI to HDMI connected to the Big Screen TV, analog VGA out to the local monitor and the composite output to standard def TV.

I have set it up so I can switch between any of the three outputs by either pressing a key sequence on the keyboard or by pressing a button on the remote.

I have three different xorg.conf files. One set up for each output. pressing Alt-9 on the keyboard calls a script that copies the xorg.conf for the DVI output over the top of the current xorg.conf and then restarts X.

Alt-8 does the one for the VGA output and Alt-7 does the composite output. I also configured 3 buttons on the remote to call these scripts also, so I can switch between all three at will.

The xorg.conf that you have is auto-sensing what is connected and configuring X for what it has found. You will need to make a new xorg.conf for each output that you want to switch to, that is not auto-sensing and is forcing the desired output explicitly.

The place to start is in the "Monitor Section". You need to explicitly state what the "ConnectedMonitor" is. Here are the relevant lines from the monitor sections from each of my three xorg.conf files.
Code:
Section "Monitor"
         Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Option  "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
        Option  "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" # "COMPOSITE" or "SVIDEO" are legal

It may be enough to just add or edit the lines you have and save three different versions. It may just work and auto-sense the rest, or you might need to create explicit mode lines for each monitor and add those to their respective xorg.conf files.

One caveat is to make sure you have a method of changing the xorg.conf file back to your original one (you did save it, right?) in case you bork it and X will no longer run! I make sure I can SSH in to my machine remotely before I start messing around, so I can change things back easily.

One last caveat if you're still with me here. R6.01 had/has a bug in it, where you can only restart X with "pkill xinit" 4 times and then it hangs the frontend. (I use "pkill xinit" to restart X in the script)

The file /etc/sv/frontend/finish had-has a bug in it. I'm not sure if it is fixed in the core repos yet. If it is not, you can get the modified "finish" file from the ticket below and copy it over the original "finish" file.
[url]http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=553&string=553&project=2&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=[/url]

I don't have two displays displaying at once. There is a "TwinView" feature in Nvidia drivers. I tried playing with it many versions of knoppmyth ago and it was flakey on my hardware, so I gave up. It may be better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:16 am 
Thanks for the replies, I will am going to try and get to this this weekend. I have noticed that the frontend will hang after a couple of restarts of X, but haven't quite figured out the frequency. This sounds definitely do able, I just needed a little direction.
JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 am 
After thinking about this a little bit more, I think a better way to do things would be to run 2 separate frontends from the same computer. I have seen that this is possible, but have yet to find any good instructions. Has anybody seen anything like this or can show me the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
tada!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am 
I run my front end on an FX5200 in Cloned DualView Mode.

I posted about it here:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20629

In case it's something you'd like to explore.

Cheers,

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am 
Wow it has been a while since I worked on this project. I tried altering the xorg.conf files as suggested by jzigmyth, but after booting/pkill init it 'hangs' at Booting 100% (Parent Daemon Running in verbose mode) until I copy the original xorg.conf file back. I imagine I have to add more details about the monitors, but am working at the edge of my knowledge, any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I have for the projector hooked up to the DVI

Code:
Section "Monitor"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
    Identifier     "Optoma HD65"
    VendorName     "OPT"
    ModelName      "Optoma HD65"
    HorizSync      15-120
    VertRefresh    15-99
    Option "PreferredMode" "1280x720"

ModelLine "1280x720_60" 74.48  1280 1336  1472 1664 720  721  724   746  -Hsync +Vsync

EndSection

What am I still missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 pm 
I was able to get the display directed towards the projector by adding
Code:
    Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

but it was black, so I added a modeline to the monitor section
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Projector"
    VendorName     "Optoma"
    ModelName      "HD 65"
     HorizSync      15-120
     VertRefresh    15-99
    Option         "DPMS" "false"
#    DisplaySize  203 153
#INSERT MODELINE
modeline "1280x720_60 Hz" 74.48 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 -HSync +Vsy$
EndSection

and changed the screen section to
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Projector"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
         Modes "1024x760_60 Hz"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

And it works, I can now switch between my lcd and projector with shortcut keys, last step is to program them into the remote. Weeeee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
Ok. Start by renaming your xorg.conf file for the DFP to "xorg.conf.DFPoutonly" and place it in the /etc/Xll directory along with the current xorg.conf file. (as always, save a copy of the original, in case of trouble)

Then rename the xorg.conf that is set up for VGA out to "xorg.conf.VGAoutonly" and put it in the same directory as above. I also have one for TVoutonly, but you can ignore those references.

Now we need a place to put the scripts that will swap the xorg.conf files around. I put mine in /home/mythtv/zig
Here is the first script, cut and paste this into a file and name it xorgDFP.sh and place it in /home/mythtv/zig (use your own name if you like!)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.DFPoutonly /etc/X11/xorg.conf
pkill xinit

Here is the second script, do the same as above except name it xorgVGA.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.VGAoutonly /etc/X11/xorg.conf
pkill xinit

Don't forget to make these scripts executable!

I wanted to be able to switch displays from the console as well as the remote so first here is how to do it from the console:

I set it up so that
ALT 7 is TV out
ALT 8 is VGA out
ALT 9 is DFP out

Edit /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/keys and add lines for:
Mod1 7
Mod1 8
Mod1 9
These are the codes for ALT 7, ALT 8 and ALT 9

Here is my "keys" file:

Code:
OnDesktop Mouse1 :HideMenus
OnDesktop Mouse2 :WorkspaceMenu
OnDesktop Mouse3 :RootMenu
OnDesktop Mouse4 :NextWorkspace
OnDesktop Mouse5 :PrevWorkspace

Mod1 Tab :NextWindow
Mod1 Shift Tab :PrevWindow
Mod1 F1 :Workspace 1
Mod1 F2 :Workspace 2
Mod1 F3 :Workspace 3
Mod1 F4 :Workspace 4
Mod1 F5 :Workspace 5
Mod1 F6 :Workspace 6
Mod1 F8 :Workspace 8
Mod1 F9 :Workspace 9
Mod1 F10 :Workspace 10
Mod1 F11 :Workspace 11
Mod1 F12 :Workspace 12
Mod1 x :ExecCommand tvterm.sh
Mod1 s :ExecCommand sudo taskset -c 0 mythtv-setup
Mod1 m :ExecCommand mythfrontend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
Mod1 1 :ExecCommand sudo sv start mythbackend
Mod1 2 :ExecCommand sudo sv stop mythbackend
Mod1 3 :ExecCommand sudo sv restart mythbackend
Mod1 7 :ExecCommand sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgTV.sh
Mod1 8 :ExecCommand sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgVGA.sh
Mod1 9 :ExecCommand sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgDFP.sh

Mod1 h :ExecCommand MythVantage -h
Mod1 Control u :ExecCommand /usr/LH/bin/unclutter-toggle.sh

Now to make it work from your remote, too.
You need to edit the lircrc file for your remote. Pick the three buttons (from lircd.conf) that you want to use for switching displays and then add definitions for them in your lircrc. I used s7 s8 and s9 on my remote. Here are my three button definitions that I added:

Code:
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = s7
    # script to restart X for DFP
    config = sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgTV.sh
end

begin
    prog = irexec
    button = s8
    # script to restart X for VGA
    config = sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgVGA.sh
end

begin
    prog = irexec
    button = s9
    # script to restart X for TV
    config = sudo /home/mythtv/zig/xorgDFP.sh
end

I think that pretty much wraps it up. You will probably need to reboot after modifying these files to get everything to work. Can't hurt, anyway.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 am 
First, thanks a bunch jzigmyth, I have learned a lot on this adventure. I had everything working great under R6, but ran into a few other problems so I decided to go back to R5.5 for now.

The problem in R5.5 is that I can't cp the files in the /etc/X11 folder as user mythtv. Sudo doesn't work for user mythtv and I have tried adding permissions, but haven't had any luck yet. There must be any easy way I am missing, any ideas?

Edit: SOLVED Here is what worked for me:

I changed the ownership of all xorg.conf file and my two scripts to switch between my different xorg.conf files
Code:
chown mythtv:mythtv xorg*
chown mythtv:mythtv tolcd.sh
chown mythtv:mythtv toproj.sh

Then I added my 2 scripts to the sudoers file in /etc
Code:
mythtv  ALL=NOPASSWD: /etc/X11/tolcd.sh, /etc/X11/toproj.sh

In the end I added to menu options in the mainmenu.xml file to switch between the projector and lcd. Things seem to be working great again. Thanks again for all the help.....JJ