View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:48 pm 
I am attempting an upgrade from R5.5 to LINHES 6.0.3. I boot from the CD. Various message scroll by indicating various services are successfully starting. After a while my screen goes blank and then my Dell 22" flat panel monitor suddenly displays the message "Cannot display this video mode. Optimal resolution is 1680x1050 @ 60hz". Note that this message is being generated by the LCD flat pane, not LINHES. It would appear that the boot CD is trying to use a resolution and/or frequency that is not supported by the monitor.

After staring at this message for a few minutes I hit the power button briefly. The system goes back to console mode. Once the he last messages I see is something like "Xlib ext: Generic event extension: Missing on display 0:0. (Or something close to this -- I attempt to write it down before the was wiped off the screen).

Hardware config:

MSI P6NG Neo-Digital motherboard
Integrated nvida 7050 graphics connected to Dell monitor via VGA
4GB RAM
Intel E8400 CPU

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm 
What is the model of the Dell 22" monitor? Can you boot the cd and see if you still have the problem? Could be something off in your Xorg. 1680x1050 is fine in Linhes with Nvidia...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
The monitor is a dell SP2208EFP. The machine I monitor both support DVI so I just gave that a try. I got past the previous problem this way, but now I am getting a message that essentially says that LINHES no longer supports i586 machines. I believe that the Intel E8400 meets the criteria of an I686 machine.

Any ides or suggestions would be appreciated.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 am 
I remember back in the day Knoppmyth used to ask you if you wanted i586 or i686. I'm pretty sure all processors are now i686. As far as I know Arch is only i686 since it's a modern OS.

How about putting a spare drive into your system and give that a try with a fresh R6.03 then you can see the benefits and work on the migration issues instead of the other way around. Your system looks good hardware wise for R6.03 it should work fine especially with XBMC :)

Last edited by RacerX on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:38 am 
i got that error message as well. i thought it was because i am using a first gen AMD 64 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:43 am 
I now realize that the bottom of the screen was clipped -- when I hit "enter" it proceeded to the next step. I ran the upgrade and I am now dealing with multiple issues:

1. The database upgrade failed.

2. So much has changed that I basically have to spend time to re-learn the environment.

3. It looks like the procedure for starting and stopping services is a customized, LINHES-specific method. I'm wondering what else has been set up in a way that is different than most (all?) other Linux distributions.

I started to go through the learning curve issue with R6 sometime back and gave up because I didn't have the time to deal with it. I'll have to decide if I have the time now. My only motivation for upgrading is to gain access to reliable H264 encoding for my IPAD and IPHONE I recently acquired -- neither of them can deal with the xvid transcodes I've been using for the past several years.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:04 am 
OK -- got past all the issues including the database upgrade problems. I have some general 603 question so I've opened up a different thread, as they don't really fall properly into the "install" category. The thread is here -- any help would be appreciated!