View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Author Message
Search for:
 Post subject: Upgrade Options
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:29 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 19
I have been gone from this site for a very long time... started having kids and ran out of time to play with KnoppMyth. However, I have been using the KnoppMyth PVR I built several years ago for quite some time. Thought it might be a good idea to upgrade, but a lot has changed.

My PC is a 1.5Ghz P4 with hauppauge PVR150 The version of KnoppMyth I am running is probably 4+ years old.

Is the PC too old to run an updated LinHes or older update of KnoppMyth (circa 2009)?

If the PC is still usable, what is the best version to upgrade to and where can I find a good upgrade guide?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm 
Offline
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:06 pm
Posts: 690
I would recommend replacing the hard drive with another hard drive and then installing a fresh install of R6.03. This will give you a better feel to judge if the performance meets your requirements. Then you can put the old drive back in and make a better informed decision about what needs to be upgraded and you will have a new drive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:02 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am
Posts: 535
Location: Ottawa, Canada
It depends what you will view with it. That front end can handle everything but HD playback. You can record HD though with it. To playback HD video you will need to add an nvidia card of at least the 8xxx vintage. And given your PC is P4 it likely only has PCI and AGP slots (no PCI-E). So there are only a couple of cards that will work. Look up Sparkle.

I have one of my front ends running a PCI Sparkle Nvidia card with a P4.

If you are not running HD then you should be ok if it worked before. But as RacerX says, test it first as I have no idea what chip sets you are using.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:00 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Arlington, MA
christ wrote:
It depends what you will view with it. That front end can handle everything but HD playback. You can record HD though with it. To playback HD video you will need to add an nvidia card of at least the 8xxx vintage. And given your PC is P4 it likely only has PCI and AGP slots (no PCI-E). So there are only a couple of cards that will work. Look up Sparkle.

You seem to be assuming that VDPAU is necessary where XvMC support might be fine, and there are a lot more AGP cards that provide acceptable support for that...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am
Posts: 535
Location: Ottawa, Canada
tjc wrote:
You seem to be assuming that VDPAU is necessary where XvMC support might be fine, and there are a lot more AGP cards that provide acceptable support for that...

yes. I assumed HD is in H.264 as all of my HD sources are. Though XvMC supports MPEG4 I wasn't certain that XvMC based video cards could generically handle it or other H.264 variants.

Not sure what sources you are assuming for HD or what XvMC based cards can handle them but I welcome the insight!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Standard Def
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 19
I am just viewing standard def (no HD). So it sounds like it should work.
What is the best upgrade/installation guide to follow?

Thanks for the input.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:00 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Arlington, MA
christ wrote:
yes. I assumed HD is in H.264 as all of my HD sources are. Though XvMC supports MPEG4 I wasn't certain that XvMC based video cards could generically handle it or other H.264 variants.

Most OTA and Cable sources (ATSC and other) use MPEG-2 TS, DVDs (yes I know that's not HD) use MPEG-2 PS, ... all of which are decodeable (or acceleratable) with XvMC. XvMC offers very little help for MPEG4 or H.264, but that's not an issue for somebody who isn't playing bluray discs or transcoding to H.264.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am
Posts: 535
Location: Ottawa, Canada
tjc wrote:
Most OTA and Cable sources (ATSC and other) use MPEG-2 TS

Looks like the non US standards also use MPEG-2 TS too. Good to know XvMC is still applicable in some jurisdictions. The FCC has done a good job in the US about keeping this all clean. Sadly in other jurisdictions they encrypt everything even public broadcast on cable. Hence the need for HD-PVRs.

tjc wrote:
XvMC offers very little help for MPEG4 or H.264, but that's not an issue for somebody who isn't playing bluray discs or transcoding to H.264.

Or having to use an Hauppauge HD-PVR which of course outputs in H.264.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm 
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:14 am
Posts: 1295
Location: Orlando FL
While this hardware talk is getting me all hot and bothered I think Icp676 was wondering how to safely migrate to the newest LinHES without loosing his database. He currently is using a PVR 150 which only records MPEG 2 SD. He doesn't need HD playback unless he gets a HD tuner card. Unfortunately I don't know the answer is the database from his version of Knoppmyth compatable with the new 6.03 version of LinHES?

_________________
My System


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 pm 
Offline
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am
Posts: 535
Location: Ottawa, Canada
mattbatt wrote:
I think Icp676 was wondering how to safely migrate to the newest LinHES without loosing his database.

I didn't see that in the original question. Only if the hardware would do.

mattbatt wrote:
He currently is using a PVR 150 which only records MPEG 2 SD. He doesn't need HD playback unless he gets a HD tuner card.

His original post didn't say what his intentions were. He clarified it later.

mattbatt wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know the answer is the database from his version of Knoppmyth compatable with the new 6.03 version of LinHES?

yes it will be. But it will be an upgrade of the database schema. It is a one way procedure. That is you upgrade but can't reverse and down grade thus before he starts he will need to make a good backup or as RacerX suggests try things with another disk.

Using RacerX's idea, Icp676 can (theoretically)
* make a backup of his original config;
* install 6.03 on a new disk;
* copy over the backup image;
* copy over any media he wants to preserve
* drop the 6.03 database;
* restore the backup image into mysql;
* light up 6.03 and then the database upgrade should begin.

Trying to upgrade through the releases of say R5F27 through to 6.03 might be more complicated than it is worth vs simply preserving the database.

I know of no specific guide.

It may also be worthwhile to decide whether an upgrade is worth it given he is not using the HD capbilities. Icp676 should review the change logs at mythtv.org and decide if he wants to do this. He is likely on mythtv 0.20.2 or earlier and 6.03 is based on 0.23.1


Last edited by christ on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:14 am
Posts: 1295
Location: Orlando FL
Thanks Christ.

_________________
My System


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Theme Created By ceyhansuyu