View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm 
Hi,

I have just build a new system:

Zotac atom ion 330. Combined front/backend. Running r6.003

I was hoping to use hdmi for sound and video. I have it up and running but had to go into alsamixer and unmute the hda slider.

After that I got sound working. The only problem is when i mute, volume up or down. the sound stays the same. I can only adjust volume with the tv remote. Volume is very loud. and even adjusting on the tv its either muted or loud.

From the searches ive done some people are saying if i use hdmi i wont be able to adjust my volume. Is that true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:12 pm 
In the menus somewhere there is a check box that says to enable volume control. I think it is system->mythtv->setup->General-> the page right after the audio setup I think.

I am confused however The volume at maximum on MythTV shouldn't be louder than your dvd player or TV. Most components that plug into the TV only have one volume level out. Why do you want to control the volume from MythTV? If you turn the audio down in MythTV and turn up the TV to compensate then when you switch to another input you will blast yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 pm 
thanks for that....I mean it, thank you.... I was up most of the night trying to work out what was happening. I was adding things to my alsabase i was playing with the mixer. reinstalled drivers. All the searches didnt find that one. Was about to reinstall.

Why do I do volume through myth? When i had my old spidf setup I set the tv to a normal level for all other equipment then id control the sound and if i changed to the wii Sound would be ok.

I was surprised how loud my audio was on the tv through hdmi. Its only 2 clicks from mute to very loud that wakes my kids. Hoping adding mythtv volume will give more variability. Scared the bajesus out of me when i first turned it on and paniked when i hit mute and nothing happened.

Thanks again. Youll make my wife happy. She was not happy waking up to no mythtv and two active toddlers for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 am 
My understanding is there is no volume control with digital sound. What you can do is reduce the volume on the recordings. You don't say where your recordings come from but on many cases you can reduce the volume in the recording profiles. Also if you are using a stb, you can sometimes reduce its output volume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 am 
Hi Digriz77. Maybe there is a simple fix to the problem. On my system M2NPV-VM HDMI-volume is done by the setting "Device for mixer" to "Software" and mixer to "PCM". This is done on the page for "soundmixer" and by activating "Internal Volume Control".

Regards Nenne