View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 am 
tjc wrote:
Oh yeah, this sounds familiar... What was it....

- Check all the settings data and look for occurrences of the loopback address 127.0.0.1
- Also check for localhost
- Finally check the entries your /etc/hosts file and if your hostname is associated with the loopback address rather than external address make sure that you don't use that name as the address in any of the settings.

I tried the settings script and got the following output

Code:
[root@linhesserver scripts]# ./settings.sh -d | grep 127.0.0.1
DefaultVxmlUrl  http://127.0.0.1/vxml/index.vxml        linhesserver
[root@linhesserver scripts]# ./settings.sh -d | grep -i localhost
HostMysqlserver localhost       linhesserver
[root@linhesserver scripts]#

the second output "HostMysqlserver localhost linhesserver"
may suggest that something is wrong but im not sure how to proceed since Ive never worked with databases.. I could probably look it up but Im afraid to break someting.. :)
even the first output may indicate that I have to change that too?

/etc/hosts seem to be in order
Code:
[root@linhesserver scripts]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.102 linhesserver
192.168.0.101 nanoitx
#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>

# End of file
[root@linhesserver scripts]#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:53 am 
The settings utility will also let you poke values into the settings table:
Code:
settings.sh -m linhesserver DefaultVxmlUrl "http://192.168.0.102/vxml/index.vxml"
settings.sh -m linhesserver HostMysqlserver "192.168.0.102"

Most of the settings are stored in a very simple three column table, which lists the name, the value, and which machine it applies to. Values are looked up using the name and hostname (machine). A record with no hostname means that it is the global default and applies to all machines that don't have specific settings of their own. Given that, what the commands above are doing should be fairly obvious. If you run settings.sh -h it will print a command line usage summary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:51 am 
thanx for the script. this will probably get handy several times in the future i guess.
Obviously my database had some errors that I now have corrected with this script but I see no difference in the behaviour.. :( even after a restart.
Ive tried to insert both "linhesserver" and "192.168.0.102" in the database but the frontend still cannot connect/login to the database.

After the lang selection screen, when prompted for IP, database name, user and pass I press "next" and "finish" i get the error message
"Cannot login"

Could it be a mythtv user/pass issue? it shouldnt since the frontend was able to connect before i started to change the settings from "localhost" to "192.168.0.102".. so i guess the message "cannot login" is just a generic message that the frontend wasnt able to connect/login?

I appreciate all your help and I hope you haven't run out of ideas just yet.. ;) I have no idea what could still be wrong... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 am 
You did a standalone installation. Have you changed the backend to be Master_backend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 pm 
mythedoff wrote:
You did a standalone installation. Have you changed the backend to be Master_backend?

no i havent done anything like that. do i have to? i only have one backend.
as it is now the local frontend cannot connect to the backend. could that be because i havent it set as a master backend? how do i do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
goonzo wrote:
christ wrote:
The other possibility is that your mysql database on your master backend does not have permissions set for non-localhost. Are you using a standard LinHES as a master backend?

If you by "Standard LinHES" mean a fresh install with 6.04, then yes.
its a standalone installation and i've installed samba and VNC. Also altered the ssh permissions so that i can log in from a remote system.
but thats it.

is there a setting for "non-localhost permissions" accessing the database somewhere?

mysql also needs permissions set to allow the database to be accessed by non localhost. I'm on the road at the moment so someone else can point you to the right settings. If you set your machine to be master backend it should have done this automatically. but it can be done manually. Google can help you with the right command including how to check.

hint: this is a mysql command not a shell command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm 
goonzo wrote:
mythedoff wrote:

no i havent done anything like that. do i have to? i only have one backend.
as it is now the local frontend cannot connect to the backend. could that be because i havent it set as a master backend? how do i do that?

It can be changed in the Service Menu/LinHES Configuration/System Type.
Edit: make sure to do a backup first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm 
If you can't start the frontend, it's hard to access the LinHES menus. Enter
Code:
mythinstall -s hostype
into an xterm window. that will allow you to change the host type from standalone to masterbackend, opening up the database for outside access. (not sure what all else it does) You may need to
Code:
mythinstall -s accesscontrol
first to enable changing the host type.

I think what christ is refering to in commenting out the 'skip-networking' in /etc/my.cnf and restart mysql to enable outside access. (line 39 in my config file)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 am 
Thanx everybody for helping me. IT was very much appreciated. I was starting to get frustrated ;) -I finally solved it.
I probably didnt read the documentation well enough. As I understood it; "master backend" should only be chosen if more than one backend was to be used in the system. Now i know that "standalone" disables all non-localhost to access mysql.

I commented the "skip-networking" setting i my.cnf and Voilá!
the frontend was able to connect again.

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:06 am 
i was wondering..
now that the frontend connect to the backend im able to access the LinHES settings/system type
but the option where I choose "standalone/masterbackend etc." is greyed out and says "Standalone".

Would it be safer to do a reinstall selecting Masterbackend since it may otherwise cause other problems with my system later on? I mean, does the "master backend" setting change more stuff than the "skip-networking" in my.cnf?
My feeling is that by only commenting the "skip-networking" i may miss other settings that are done automatically when selecting master backend during installation...
any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:10 am 
goofee wrote:
If you can't start the frontend, it's hard to access the LinHES menus. ...

Right, but refer to very first line of this thread. That machine was accessible for change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 am 
Quote:
the frontend on the standalone system couldnt connect to the local backend anymore.

Quote:
After the lang selection screen, when prompted for IP, database name, user and pass I press "next" and "finish" i get the error message "Cannot login"

Sorry, I interpreted that as meaning the frontend would no longer run. Oh well, it works now.

goonzo: Service Menu>LinHES Configuration>Access Control
select 'Change hostype' and finish.
then go back to Service Menu>LinHES Configuration>System Type and you should be able to change from Standalone to Masterbackend.

I'm not sure what all else that will change besides the database, but I remember looking through an upgrade script one time and it took a different path depending on what system type was selected. Probably be a good idea to fix it now before you forget about it and it bites you on an upgrade later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm 
christ wrote:
mysql also needs permissions set to allow the database to be accessed by non localhost

Whoops, sorry goonzo, I thought you'd already taken care of that. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 pm 
just to be safe i did a fresh install as "master backend" and it works. both my frontends can now connect ;)

now begins the time consuming work of configuring everything! ;)

again, thx for all support

Go to page Previous  1, 2