View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:39 pm 
My old machine (Pentium 4-2600, Asus Motherboard, Geforce 6200) failed due to bad capacitors, so I bought a new motherboard/CPU/PSU/graphics card:
* Gigabyte Ga-880gm-d2h
* Athlon II X2 245e
* Geforce 8400

Since I want to keep my recordings (I have to - otherwise WAF will drop to zero) I tried booting from the old drive in the new machine. It did not boot: "Cannot find disk with UUID=.... try adding rootdelay=8 to kernel boot line". Tried that, still did not boot, same error.

Next, I tried an upgrade install of LinHES 6.03. The same version was running on the old machine.

The upgrade install hung on "Preparing mythtv for life". Of course, this means that the root partition had been formatted. Rebooted the machine after a few hours. It booted, but no backend seemed to run. The frontend showed the language selection screen, asked for a backend IP but after giving it "localhost" it could not connect to the backend.

Tried LinHES 6.04 - same thing.

Tried a full install on a different hard disk - Worked.

How can I find out, where in the upgrade process it hung? Is it even possible to do an "Upgrade Install" on totally different hardware? Is there another way to get a working installation without erasing the /myth partition?

Thanks for any help!

Jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 pm 
I hope that you made a recent backup of your former working system? If you did you can mount the old hard drive as a second drive and restore the backup to your new drive. You would then need to mount the old drive as the /myth partition and you should be back in business.
If you haven't done a backup recently you may not be out of luck. As long as you didn't erase the database when you tried to upgrade you should be able to pull it off of the old drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 am 
A backup exists. Only I don't want to have an additional disk drive in the machine (space, heat). Isn't there a way to install/upgrade to a disk drive without wiping the partitions?

jens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:25 pm 
I'm not the right person to answer this.I get really scared when I do upgrades and stuff. One time I thought I was doing a safe upgrade to just the boot partition and ended up loosing everything. I had to restore from a backup that was several months old. That database is almost priceless.
What I have done before is install on a second drive and then do the recover and then you can copy the partition from one drive to the other using dd. Like I said that database is precious. If you have $100 i'd buy a new bigger drive install on that and migrate the recordings and such to it that way you never have a chance of loosing your data.

This is a question for the wise and powerful LinHES wizards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 pm 
I finally ended up using on an additional older drive, doing a fresh install and restoring from the backup. This is working so far, now I just have to get all things working again like mythwelcome and wake-on-rtc.

Once everything works I'll use your advice and copy the boot partition of the old drive to the drive where my previous root partition was.

Thanks for this hint, that should solve the issue for me.

Jens