View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 pm 
I followed the instructions in cecil's post (the wiki, for some reason, doesn't include the step to sudo sv shutdown frontend). After running the preliminary steps, I ran
Code:
sudo upgrade_linhes.sh

The split screen window came up and I hit enter to continue. It did some preliminary removal of items (such as mythvodka) and the bottom screen's last entry showed that it was downloading the extras.db or something close to that. 14 hours later it was still on that screen with no noticeable activity. I could still ping the machine but not ssh into it or <ctrl><alt><F#> to any other window (tried 1-7).

I bit the bullet and pressed the reset button. It tried to startup as R6 but failed. I switched over to a text window and ran sudo pacman -Syu. 500+ packages were downloaded but not upgraded because two files already existed (mythvantage/run and finished). I renamed those two and ran the Syu again. This time 500+ packages upgraded. I thought I saw some errors flash by during the upgrade but nothing that halted the process. I rebooted the machine and it attempted to start. On the GUI loading screen I see messages that it is trying to start nfsd, avahi, mysql over and over and over. If I manually sv shutdown those services, the system keeps trying to start nvidia and fails. The screen goes black once every 5-10 seconds as it tries to start X or nvidia.

Before I get too bogged down in trying to chase down every problem, I'm trying to find the larger error that might have caused this.

I see lots of errors in the logs but don't know if they're normal errors or scary errors. For example, ./run keeps trying to start /usr/MythVantage/bin/initial(something or other) that doesn't exist. I looked in the directory and sure enough that file just isn't there. Also lots of mounting errors but all the hard drives and partitions seem to be readable so I'm not sure what the mountd errors were about. Startup errors indicating such-and-such command couldn't be executed because the system is ro at that point. There's obviously something that didn't go right in the upgrade, and I'm trying to track it down.

I'm also downloading the ISO and will try to run an upgrade install from the CD. I'd like to get TV working by tonight if possible.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar and found a way out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 pm 
In the "when it rains, it pours" department, I've worked the last 7-1/2 hours off-and-on to get the doggone CD to boot. Finally took the computer apart and plugged the DVD drive into a different SATA port. It worked right away and now I can't get the Linhes CD to go past the initial screen...I get nothing but a lot of bad block and I/O errors. I wrote the image with ImgBurn on Windows and it verified fine, but just in case I'm burning 2 more copies to be sure I have good disks in there. I need something to go right for me :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 am 
Hi DoomedTX,

I'm in a very similar position with upgrades not working correctly. Fortunately I did a backup so can revert to 6.04.

What I am seeing the same errors and sticking points.

However I am nonplussed about why. I wonder if I've done something wrong or misunderstood the guide. I say this because I am unsure what should my pacman.conf point to linhes.org or knoppmyth.net? The instructions seem to contradict themselves.

What user should I be using to run the upgrade? As root? My regular user I set up is not in the sudo list, mythtv as a user doesn't appear to let me login. I don't recall setting a password for mythtv. Though I have just been using my mythbox as a pvr for ages, instead of poking it, so I may have forgotten.

Sorry DoomedTX, I can't help, but I'm the same predicament.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 pm 
Chris, sorry you had trouble too. The root user needs to execute the commands needed to upgrade. By default, mythtv's password is (or used to be) mythtv so that might be what you need to use.

Continuing my saga, it took me 3 tries to get a good disc even though all 3 verified fine on my Windows machine. The 3rd one went through the upgrade process fairly quickly, but it stalled at the "Please wait while mythtv comes to life" screen. It was there for about 14 hours which I'm sure means it's not going to make it. I rebooted and see the system is indeed R7 now, but since the upgrade didn't complete cleanly it won't start all the way.

That leaves me wondering how to troubleshoot when the installer hangs. The box is on the network (verified by ping) but ssh isn't up during the install process. I can ctrl-alt-f3 to a login prompt but can't login from there because I don't know what user/pw the CD uses by default. I tried root and it logs in and right back out without a password. mythtv won't login with blank or mythtv for a password.

I saw in previous versions people were advised to use ps or top to find the hanging process and kill it, but since install hasn't completed I don't have a user and pw to login with to execute those commands. Any ideas for the next step? Tonight I'll probably try to upgrade it again, and if that fails I might "upgrade" it back to 6.04.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:44 pm 
I'm going to keep my narrative running in case someone can help me or down the line it can help someone else.

I ran 7.1 upgrade again and once again am stuck at the coming to life screen. However, this time I can login as root on another tty (username: root, no pw required--remember, I'm still on the CD not yet my local R7).

So now that I can login, what can I do to find out what's happening? The /var/log directory is mostly empty. The only log that has been recently updated was wtmp, but displaying it with cat showed a bunch of special characters so I guess it's not plain text. I ran ps -ef and see a lot of entries but don't know how to tell if I'm seeing the problem. There are a few mysql_safe (or something like that) entries, making me wonder if the problem is with mysql. There's a message on the ctrl-alt-f1 screen that talks about Qsql database still being in use or something like that; not sure if it's related.

I can't ssh into the box so I'm trying to figure out how to get the output of ps -ef and anything else into a post here without retyping it. In the meantime, can someone help me figure out where I need to be looking to help get this install back on track?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 am 
Well, I think your experiences are mirroring mine. I have tried several routes to upgrade all have failed so far.

I've burnt several versions of the 7.1 disc, and failed to get anywhere. Upgrading from a stock 6.04 via pacman fails, usually timing out on download.

On the occassions it has completed the d/l, errors are reported and abandons the upgrade. Then, 6.04 wont boot.

Thank goodness for backups!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 am 
DoomedTX,

You can open an xterm (Alt + x) when booted from the CD and in the installer. Then look at /tmp/ for various logging from the install process.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 am 
I hate to post with nothing more to add, but I have been experiencing the same problems. I did an upgrade to 6.04 with no problem, and then the upgrade to 7.1 failed. I have the additional trouble that I can't get back to 6.04 now. I have a backup, so I burned a 6.04 CD and tried an "upgrade" back to 6.04, but it fails (error when running systemconfig). Chris, were you able to get back to 6.04? If so, was there any unusual steps you had to take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 am 
DoomedTX,

How much RAM does the system have?

Try installing from the CD again and when it gets to "Transferring System" open xterm (Alt+X) and assuming your install is to sda enter:
Code:
swapon /dev/sda2
If you installed to another drive just change sda2 to your install drive.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 pm 
@jbm2131.

Nope. Just reinstalled 6.04 as an upgrade. I'd done a back up from the command line just before I tried the 7.1 upgrade for the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 pm 
Ok I checked chroot_db.out and it is starting mysql over and over. I get Mysql start [BUSY [FAIL] followed by Mysql stop [BUSY] [FAIL]

Checking the mv_debug.log shows the script wasn't able to find my backed up database in /myth/backup because my /myth directory is on a different partition that wasn't mounted for the upgrade. I'm going to see if I can mount the /myth partition to see if that gets it out of the loop, but since the script already failed to find the backup I don't know if making the directory available now will do any good. As an alternative, I might mount the /myth partition to a different directory, cp the backup db (including path structure) to the now-empty /myth directory, and then re-run upgrade a 10th time to see if this will get it past the "coming to life message." I can't work on it tonight, so I won't try this until tomorrow. In the meantime, if someone smarter than me can help fix this better than my planned solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm 
DoomedTX,

The mysql failing indicates that the install ran out of memory and it is stuck in the loop, thus the coming to life message never ends. Try the install again and enable swap as I explained above.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm 
The system has 4GB RAM. Is that the only problem that can cause mysql to start over and over or could it have something to do with the fact that it failed to find the old DB?

Additional details about my last post: I have 3 hard drives in the machine and 4 partitions: drive 1 has a smallish (4-10 GB IIRC) partition for / and the rest for /myth; drives 2 and 3 are myth2 and myth3 partitions solely for storage. Is there anything besides the DB backup the installer might be failing to see? If so, is there a way during the install process to get the /myth partition mounted?

Thanks for the quick suggestions. I'm getting lots of pressure to fix it now that we're in day 3 of no TV :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
I poked around some more and found the installer was hanging not due to RAM but to lack of HD space! When I initially upgraded with pacman -Syu, that (along with whatever was already there) made the pacman cache directory go to 1.2G and the / partition went to 100% overall. I emptied the pacman cache and the installer was able to continue. When I went back to ctrl-alt-f7 it gave me the choice to reboot.

After reboot the first problem I saw was that instead of using my fstab, it made a completely new fstab with different drives and filesystems. I was able to get my old fstab back in there and reboot.

After rebooting into the correct partition, I'm stuck in a service loading loop. It's going by too fast for me to get all the messages exactly, but I know it's starting ssh, lighttpd, mediaserv and some others over and over again. There are some file not found errors but again they go by too fast to see. I don't have a camera handy but if all else fails I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.

There aren't a lot of logs dated Nov 14 (since I started this process on the 11th), and those that have Nov 14 dates don't seem to have any errors in them. I was expecting syslog or dmesg or messages to display the same errors I'm seeing on the ctrl-alt-f1 screen, but they don't. Where else should I look? I feel like I'm so close to breaking through to a good install if I can just get through these endless loops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm 
I got my camera and was able to capture the cycle. Here's what is scrolling by again and again:

Code:
  Starting SSH
  Starting syslog
./run: line 9: /usr/sbin/syslog-ng: No such file or directory
./run: line 9: exec: /usr/sbin/syslog-ng: cannot execute...(pic cutoff)
  Starting portmap
  Starting Hal
  Starting lighttpd
  Starting mediaserv
  Stopping mediaserv
mediaserv: no process found
Starting Webmin server in /opt/webmin
(repeat)

I'm seeing errors in fluxbox.log, Xorg.0.log and mythbackend.log, but I don't know if I'm seeing causes or just a result of the loop. I double-checked and the / partition is still at 88% capacity, the 4GB of memory isn't fully used, and a swap is in place. Any ideas where I should look next?

Go to page 1, 2  Next