View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Can't install to SSD?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:03 pm 
I've been trying to upgrade the system that I built four years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17411

I had three disks in the machine: one IDE, and two SATA drives. I had recently upgraded to R7.1 without much trouble. In the past few months both of the SATA drives failed. I replaced them with two SATA drives: a 128 GB SSD (Crucial) and a 1 TB (Seagate Barracuda) drive.

I wanted to install the root system on the SSD and use the other drives for storage. R7.2 appeared to install correctly, but I kept getting grub error 15 when rebooting. The boot partition was /dev/sda1, I had root set to (hd0,0), and the uuid was correct and consistent between /etc/fstab and /boot/menu.lst.

I then tried installing on the 1 TB drive and got an "mv_install" failure when partitioning in the install step.

I've gone back to using the IDE drive to hold the root filesystem, and this seems to be fine, but I'm afraid this drive is going to fail one of these days too.

Is it just that my motherboard is old? I have never flashed the BIOS. This system has been working great for years and I'd hate to have to build a new machine just because the motherboard can't recognize these new-fangled disks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:12 pm 
I can't speak to your problem but I can confirm that LinHES 7.2 can indeed install to a SATA drive. I recently upgraded my old KnoppMyth box and changed motherboards and disks in the process. I now have two SATA drives and LinHES is happy as a clam. From my previous experience with SSDs I do not expect them to behave any differently than other SATA drives, so you may be needing a BIOS update or a new motherboard.

The good news is that hardware is so darned cheap as to be ridiculous. My board and processor cost about $170 (AMD) and the RAM was practically free. I think the packing peanuts costs more than the RAM these days!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:15 pm 
It sounds like your boot partition was originally on the IDE drive and that you are trying to move it to a SATA drive. If this is correct take a look at this thread for information on how to do this.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I can't speak to your problem but I can confirm that LinHES 7.2 can indeed install to a SATA drive. I recently upgraded my old KnoppMyth box and changed motherboards and disks in the process. I now have two SATA drives and LinHES is happy as a clam. From my previous experience with SSDs I do not expect them to behave any differently than other SATA drives, so you may be needing a BIOS update or a new motherboard.

The good news is that hardware is so darned cheap as to be ridiculous. My board and processor cost about $170 (AMD) and the RAM was practically free. I think the packing peanuts costs more than the RAM these days!

Yeah, I think I'll bite the bullet and build a new machine. I'm afraid to flash the bios since I don't think I've ever done it before and don't want to destroy the motherboard! I'll do that once I've got the new machine built. Hardware is cheap, but it does add up :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:23 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
It sounds like your boot partition was originally on the IDE drive and that you are trying to move it to a SATA drive. If this is correct take a look at this thread for information on how to do this.

Thanks for posting this. I don't think this is the problem I have, since I did a completely fresh install on each of the disks I tried. But it was a very interesting thread!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:10 pm 
did you try running SpinRite on those two "bad" drives?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 am 
mattbatt wrote:
did you try running SpinRite on those two "bad" drives?

I didn't try SpinRite, but S.M.A.R.T. showed lots of reallocated sectors. Each is about 4 years old have had significant use, so it's not surprising that they went bad.