View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 am 
I have a relative with an old but good Sony CRT (KV-HX32) who until now has been using Mediaportal. Because of ongoing problems with MP, I tried to replace MP by a clean install of LH 7.2 today. The installation began normally with the splash screen and command line text showing the startup sequence, but once the gui started up for choices to be made, the CRT lost sync and it could not be regained. I therefore could not install LH. There is no difficulty in installing Mediaportal, or Windows 7, so I assume there is something in the xorg setup for Linhes that is causing the sync problem. The CRT does not have any digital inputs, but does have RGBVH so there is a VGA to RGBVH cable that so far has worked without a problem.

I have retrieved the htpc (an Asus S1-AT5NM10E) so I can install 7.2 over hdmi with an LCD TV but I don't know how to deal with reconnecting the htpc to the CRT if it won't sync. I am also surprised that Windows 7 and Mediaportal can install without a hiccup but not a recent linux distro.

If I am in for a world of pain then I will probably recommend that my relative buys a new LCD and throws away the Sony (ouch), but I don't want to do that if there is a reasonable chance of getting Linhes to work.

According to the Sony manual it will accept the following resolutions:

Total Scanning line ---- Effective scanning Line ---- fv(Hz)
1125i --------------------------1080i--------------------------- 50/60
750p -------------------------- 720pi--------------------------- 50/60
625p -------------------------- 576pi--------------------------- 50
625i -------------------------- 576i----------------------------- 50
525p -------------------------- 480p----------------------------- 60
525i -------------------------- 480i ------------------------------ 60

Are there any CRT users out there who can help?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm 
I had the same problem. I had to switch to a HDMI TV to install. I run the install on two completely different machines with the same results. After the install and rebooted the old analog monitor would work again.
TVBox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
TVBox wrote:
I had the same problem. I had to switch to a HDMI TV to install. I run the install on two completely different machines with the same results. After the install and rebooted the old analog monitor would work again.
TVBox

Many thanks for the reply. I will press ahead with the HDMI install.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:55 am 
Wow, you're lucky! My Pioneer PRO-510HD will only accept 1080i and 480i/p as inputs. It's VERY finicky about scan rates.

I set up LinHES 7.2 on a different monitor and then transferred it to my projection TV. Remember to enable SSH and make sure it works before you change it over to the TV set. That will allow you to sneak in the back door and change X.org configs to make it all work at the last.

There is one problem that has been ongoing -- LinHES has some sort of auto-configuration that keep running and blowing away my Xorg configuration. I keep a copy of my config file and I've had to replace it a few times in the last six months. I've been meaning to dig in and figure out how to turn off the re-configuration forever but it hasn't happened in awhile. Maybe I managed to drive a stake thru its heart the last time.

-- Joe B.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm 
Thanks, that's a good tip. Once I have it working I will copy the xorg file. I already have it set up to ssh.