View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: LinHES 7.4 Install Hangs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 pm 
I am trying to do a new install of LinHES 7.4. I had a difficulty getting the timezone setup to appear. I booted from the CD several times and had the same problem. I started this topic to ask why it wasn't showing up but just before I hit the submit button, there it was. Quite unexpectedly the timezone setup screen appeared and I was able to navigate through the rest of the setup screens. I thought I was all set. However, when I came to the last install warning-screen I pressed 'yes' (or OK or whatever positive answer is used) but then promptly was met by an error screen.saying I encountered a 'mv_install error'. I looked at the bottom of /tmp/mythvantage_install.log and found

Code:
______Start of full install______
Partitioning
Removing all partitions for root  /dev/sda
Removing all partitions for data  /dev/sda
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/parted/partition.py:194: DeprecationWarning: use the getLength method
  warnings.warn("use the getLength method", DeprecationWarning)
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/parted/geometry.py:124: DeprecationWarning: use the getLength method
  warnings.warn("use the getLength method", DeprecationWarning)
created partition sda1 of 20000MB and added it to /dev/sda
created partition sda2 of 2774MB and added it to /dev/sda
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/MythVantage/bin/mv_install.py", line 1539, in <module>
    cmdoptions = main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/MythVantage/bin/mv_install.py", line 1481, in main
    full_install(hostoptions)
  File "/usr/MythVantage/bin/mv_install.py", line 1051, in full_install
    partition_disk()
  File "/usr/MythVantage/bin/mv_install.py", line 353, in partition_disk
    hostoptions["datapartition"] = create_partitions("/dev/"+datadisk, hostoptions["datasize"], "NORMAL", 1)
  File "/usr/MythVantage/bin/mv_install.py", line 316, in create_partitions
    partdisk.addPartition(partition=newpart,  constraint=constraint)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/parted/decorators.py", line 32, in new
    ret = fn(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/parted/disk.py", line 246, in addPartition
    constraint.getPedConstraint())
_ped.PartitionException: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.
mv_install.py exit code 1

My hardware is:

MB: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L
CPU: Pentium E5400
GPU: Nvidia GT240
Mem: 4GB
HDD: 1 TB SATA

Any idea what I need to do to correct this? Non-swap partitions are set for ext3.

s

Edit: Now I am having problems again with the timezone setup. The screen doesn't appear. All I get is the blue background screen. Of course, installation stops right there since I can't set a timezone. I can't even get to the error cited above anymore. This happens using 7.4 and 7.3. Is my hardware that weird?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 am 
I finally got the install to work.

1) to get around the timezone problem I had to switch over to a terminal and kill timezone.bin. When I switched back over to the install screen I had the timezone settings screen. IOW, I bypassed that whole timezone-globe thing. I adjusted things well enough to continue. If I activated the hitchhiker button, I went through the same thing (i.e. no setup screen, had to kill timezone.bin) so this is a workaround and not a fix.

2) My partitioning problems were caused by the fact that my drive had a GUID (or is it GPT?) partition table. I found this out quite by accident when I ran fdisk from a terminal. I used parted to fix this since fdisk can't handle GPT (that's why I got the warning message). One can use google for specifics. I don't know what LinHES uses for partitioning since it's buried in layers of python but it can't deal with a GPT or tell you this bit of information. I guess the moral is that one needs to know where your hard drive has been.

s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 pm 
sparks wrote:
I guess the moral is that one needs to know where your hard drive has been.

This is often the case with Linux. Which is why when you reuse disks, it is best to blow away the Master boot record using dd using say:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10