View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R8 Upgrade plan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 am 
I have the BE/FE listed in the profile working well and am now ready to risk all and upgrade to R8. My current setup has a single hard drive (1.5TB) that contains the Linhes software and media. Sadly I have no where to store all the media during the transition. I have a 120GB drive that I can use to for the upgrade so my thoughts are to proceed as follows:

1) Perform backup of R7 per the R8 upgrade wiki and move the database backup to another computer for safe keeping.
2) Remove the existing 1.5TB drive and install the 120GB drive in the PC.
3) Install R8 on the 120Gb drive which will make a small /myth partition
4) Confirm everything is working well.
5) Install the 1.5TB drive for media storage only.

Does this seem like a good plan?

My big question is what do I need to do to the 1.5TB drive to remove the R7 version and when do I do this. I would prefer to do it as late as possible so that I have a way to retreat to R7 should big trouble ensue? Also will I need to rename the /myth on the 1.5TB drive so it doesnt conflict with the small /myth on the 120GB?

All thoughts and advice is very appreciated.

Post subject: Re: R8 Upgrade plan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm 
So far R8 has been working well in a limited test on a Frontend for the past week. It's still being tested and is not production yet and I've had some issues. The whole point is shake out the bugs and produce a better R8. The big question is when to join the party? A limited test on the 120gb drive over a weekend would provide the insight your looking for to smooth out the landing into R8. Then you can migrate when it's released.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm 
you can do a test upgrade by installing R7 then R8 in virtual box just grab your backup files and restore to R7 then try and upgrade. You obviously won't be able to watch videos but it's the database that gave me issues last time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Thanks for the comments.
I am OK with swapping the hard disk for the 120GB and leaving it in as the OS drive for R8. My real concern is what do I need to do to the 1.5TB drive (that also has a OS partition) before installing it into a working R8 system?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 am 
Site Admin
Quote:
1) Perform backup of R7 per the R8 upgrade wiki and move the database backup to another computer for safe keeping.
2) Remove the existing 1.5TB drive and install the 120GB drive in the PC.
3) Install R8 on the 120Gb drive which will make a small /myth partition
4) Confirm everything is working well.
5) Install the 1.5TB drive for media storage only.

Does this seem like a good plan?

Yes that plan should work fine. In your case I would suggest importing the database "per the wiki", but skip the add_storage.py steps.
add_storage assumes 1 partition for the datadisks. If you want the autoshare function to work with the new disk, then the cfg file for it will need to be created in /etc/storage.d.

You will NOT have to rename 1.5TB/myth but it will need to be mounted as something other then /myth (or change the symlink for /myth) . Maybe mount /dev/sdb1 as /data/storage/disk1 and then add storage groups as required.

There is no need to touch the OS layout on the 1.5TB disk, just don't mount it anywhere and it will be ignored. This way if R8 doesn't work out all you have to do is boot from the 1.5TB disk and things will go right back to how you left off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm 
Quote:
In your case I would suggest importing the database "per the wiki", but skip the add_storage.py steps.
add_storage assumes 1 partition for the datadisks.

I didn't realise that myself and it took me a while to figure how the disks/partitions were mounted and where. I had one drive with /dev/sda1 as /music and /dev/sda2 as /video, but it only mounted the first partition as if it was the entire disk.

I eventually got it working by modifying fstab so that it basically resembled my R7 version.

I have one more drive to add which I used for livetv and archived recordings so I know now to add it manually just in case.