View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 am 
I'm helping a friend who is upgrading his old R7.4 system into a fresh steamy R8.3 one. We decided to go the full install route and use the data drives with the new system. My buddy wanted to try putting myth onto a SSD along with linux and the database, to see if it keeps myth happier.

We selected the Patriot 60GB "Blaze" drive as the install drive and pressed on. We upped the linux partition size to 25G, the root to 20G and the database to 10G. We accepted the recommended swap size and dedicated the rest to storage (which we intend to remove completely in a later step).

After all the choices, the install begins. It partitions the drive and begins copying the good stuff. At the conclusion, at 98%, the system quits with a mysterious message about a failure while running rsync. I investigated the message with some high-powered help (thanks Cecil) and some messages were found relating to either bad burns or SSD issues.

I double checked the download and matched md5sum. Then burned it again. Then tried a different brand of media. Then burned again. Every burn, every try resulted in the same error. I tried entering the last command by hand, and I got a huge load of decompression errors. It feels like a bad burn, but I can't see anything wrong.

Is there some reason why R8.3 can't work with SSD? It's quite a mystery here and I'm still scratching my head. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the CDROM in the myth box and seeing if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions are welcome!

-- Joe

Attachments
File comment: Error message seen at install failure.
R83 Error.JPG
R83 Error.JPG [ 696.35 KiB | Viewed 19324 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:12 pm 
You could try using a usb drive for the install image. I have had much better luck using them than optical media.

I have several R8.3 systems running on various brands of SSDs.

Open a terminal with it hung and see what log files are in /tmp and see if you can find something that might give more details.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:02 pm 
Well, the mystery deepens and the enigma intrigues...

We tried installing R8.3 to a rotating drive. No soap. When I run the last failed command and look at the result, I see a bunch of errors of the form:

/usr/share/man/man3/ilogb.3p.gz failed verification -- update discarded

The same message over and over, with different file names in each line. Mind you, this is with my latest experiment which is R8.2 on a rotating drive, not R8.3 on the SSD.

I'm kind of at my wits end. This mb took the 7.4 install gracefully. It's an AMD dual core with nVidia graphics and has been running faithfully for several years. It has no problems, other than being on 7.4, and we could go back to it easily. But I'm mystified why I can't load R8.2 or R8.3 as a clean install on this machine.

-- Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 pm 
Ultimately my friend gave up on R8.3. We were just never able to get it to install on his AMD system no matter what we tried. We tried everything we could think of, too.

1. md5sum on R8.3 and R8.2 images
2. Multiple burns of each image
3. Different media brands.
4. Different burners.
5. Different drives on the system being updated (USB vs. built-in DVD)
6. SDD and "normal" disks

We could never get past the "FAILED rsync..." step at 98% "system installation".

At this stage I don't even have a good guess as to what's wrong. The system is a compact m/b with a fairly late model dual-core AMD processor and nVidia graphics. It has 4 SATA ports and an IDE port (unused). Built-in sound and video, intended for "media center" use. It's worked fine for my friend for 4 or more years. I have the same system at home, also with R7.4.

-- Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:19 pm 
I'm curious what is the brand and model of the board?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 pm 
i have that same issue when attempting to install to usb key or usb pocket hard drive same screenshot as his ....
i wanted to test before commit to install on real sata hd the pc in question is a dell inspirion c521 with 4 gig ram and 750gb sata with nvidia 8400gs

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 am 
The Dell C521 has a lot of problems with bios. In Linux that leads to issues with usb and apci. Update to the latest bios and see if that helps...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:23 am 
Same problem as the first post here using: ASUS M3N78-EM, AM2, Nvidia 8300 onboard GPU, 4GB Ram, 1.5TB HDD.

8.3 and 8.2 fail with the error in the first post, 8.1.1 installs no issues. If I try to upgrade 8.1.1 to 8.2/.3 it fails as above also...

Is there a non-disc-image way to upgrade to 8.3?? The release notes say no, but I'd like to at least start off up to date with a fresh install on my new 3TB HDD...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:48 am 
The ASUS M3N78-EM has USB problems with more recent kernels

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930704
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/410105/pc-components/usb-problems-with-nforce-mobo-and-linux/

The workaround would be to try a usb card and disable on board usb in support bios...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:02 am 
RacerX wrote:
The ASUS M3N78-EM has USB problems with more recent kernels

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930704
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/410105/pc-components/usb-problems-with-nforce-mobo-and-linux/

The workaround would be to try a usb card and disable on board usb in support bios...

That's interesting, I've never had any USB problems with it, and those posts seem almost as old as my long time 6.04 LinHES install (older 2009).

The 8.2/8.3 live CD's seemed to detect/cope with my usb devices OK - DVB-T Tuners, Streamzap receiver, usb KB and mouse worked too.It seems to get mysteriously stuck at that rsync error and I would imagine flaky drivers to cause issues once it's booted from the HDD?

Must be something that changed between LinHES 8.1.1 and 8.2 anyway....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:27 am 
Harveythedog wrote:
Is there a non-disc-image way to upgrade to 8.3?? The release notes say no, but I'd like to at least start off up to date with a fresh install on my new 3TB HDD...

You can go from R8.1 to R8.2 by changing your repos to core.r8.2 and extra.r8.2 and then running the update81-82.sh script. See: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24175 Then go to R8.3 as described in the wiki.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:36 pm 
Thanks brfransen, I could successfully upgrade all the way to 8.3 as per your tip.

BUT 8.2 and 8.3 were completely unstable and constantly crashing with interesting corrupted screen patterns. Feels like nvidia issues(?) as I could only get it to watch TV with GPU H/W acceleration off and the LAN adapter was up and on, but mostly broken. USB was rock solid though....

I've copied /var/log/. If it's of use to anyone let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:44 am 
This command might be helpful to see what nvidia driver is giving you trouble

Code:
sudo xconfig.sh

Also pretty sure the 8200 needs the nvidia legacy driver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:26 am 
It's wiped and back at 8.1.1 where it works... If i get time I'll upgrade it again and try that script.

You might be right RacerX, I can see the 8300 and 730a (MB Chipset??) listed under the Legacy when I search:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverRe ... 1761/en-us

Version: 340.76
Release Date: 2015.1.27

Best way to get up-to-date installed LinHES with Legacy drivers?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:31 am 
What version works on 8.1?

Code:
nvidia-settings

Go to page 1, 2  Next