View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:44 am 
My apologies if this is already in the forums. I didn't see it by searching or browsing the topics.

I want to be sure I'm understanding the Upgrading LinHES R7.X to R8 guide before I do something irreversible and lose all recorded programs. I haven't done that in a few years, but I'd like to avoid it anyway. :)

My current program storage consists of 3 partitions: one on the same physical disk as /, and two separate physical drives. If I follow the guide's instructions step-by-step, including physically disconnecting the extra drives and then re-adding them after the R8 upgrade, all of my recorded programs spanning 3 partitions will be visible the same way they were in R7? Also, the guide says to copy off the /myth directory somewhere, presumably because that whole drive will be partitioned. The other drives that will be disconnected and reconnected later don't also need to be backed up, right? I want to make sure because I don't have enough backup space to take all the partitions.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am 
All partitions on the same disk as / in R7 will be lost when installing R8. By default in R7 /myth was on the same disk as the / partition. If you did not change this default then you will need to copy everything you want to keep off of /myth to another disk because it will be reformatted and partitioned to the R8 partition scheme. Use the df cmd to see what partitions are on what disk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 pm 
Hello

First, congrats on your decision to move to the latest R8. It's always good to ask questions before the migration.

R8 uses a different partition structure than previous version of Linhes. A lot of people are now using a small boot HD or SSD and then using their larger drives for storage via storage groups. Before you do anything make a backup of your current system.

This step is very important

On the R7 system create a system backup and copy it to another machine.
To create the backup run: sudo lh_system_backup_job
This will create a file in /myth/system_backups/ named backup.$todays_date.
Next copy the most recent backup file to another machine, preferably one with a web browser that can be used later.
If you are reusing a R7 hard drive then all of /myth will need to be copied to another machine.

Once you have the backup of you system somewhere safe (USB, another drive, etc)

What you want to do now is pick the drive for the R8 install and disconnect all other drives.

R8 will format (wipeout) and repartition this drive.

Then partially restore the database via mythweb and then add your other drives back in with the script or manually.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm 
Thanks for the quick responses. I gathered much of what you said from the instructions I linked to. What I'm not seeing--and am trying to learn before I get wife approval to proceed--is that once I restore the database, recopy the /myth partition, then reconnect the other drives, the add storage command will then restore all programs, not just the ones from the /myth partition, right? I'm fairly certain this is what the instructions mean, but I'm trying to be 100% clear before I pull the trigger. Sorry if I'm being over-literal. Some of you probably know where I'm coming from :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm 
DoomedTX wrote:
the add storage command will then restore all programs, not just the ones from the /myth partition, right?
If you use add_storage.py --no_destruction technically it doesn't restore the programs, it just sets up the myth db to know where to look for them. --no_destruction skips formatting the disk and adds the R8 style mountpoint in /data/storage, adds the disk to fstab, mounts the disk, and adds the directories already on the disk to the MythTV db storage groups so the backend knows where the files are. These new storage group paths should be different so you may want to go in to myth-setup and remove the old SG paths from the R7 db restore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm 
I would also suggest that you break the migration in two pieces.

The first would be backup R7, and move it somewhere else. If you have recorded programs they also need to move.

Think about R8 as a completely new Linhes. In my opinion it a lot better than the older versions of Linhes. For one the new desktop is Elightenment and you can have many desktops as you need (F1, F2) which rocks.

Moreover since you can really only install R8 from scratch it's a fresh start. Take a look at your hardware and be prepared if you need a driver for something that is not supplied this will make things more time consuming.

Once your system is up on R8 then comes the second part the partial database restore and adding your drives back in with the script and copy programs back manually. The new linhes part of mythweb is sharp. The system restore is a lot better organized and the R8 backup is automatic which is a great leap forward.

It would be useful to read up on storage groups if your not clear on the concept. Needless to say Storage Groups are controlled in myth-setup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 pm 
brfransen wrote:
If you use add_storage.py --no_destruction technically it doesn't restore the programs, it just sets up the myth db to know where to look for them.

Thanks for answering the question I wasn't able to ask with the proper terminology. It sounds like I can proceed with upgrade as soon as I can get the 700GB /myth partition copied somewhere. I'd upgrade tonight but I bet I'll wait all night copying the /myth files...