Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 am 
It's surprising that Ubuntu is the workaround for this issue,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:56 am 
RacerX wrote:
It's surprising that Ubuntu is the workaround for this issue,
Yeah. I'm new at this, but it seems like there are a lot more "parts" that can go wrong with the MythBuntu setup. From what I have seen, I would like LinHES better, and would like to learn more about Arch.

GPT and this Lenovo 520 and my current "knowledge set" seems to be a bad combination. I spend my workday in front of a linux prompt, but that wasn't sufficient training for tacking UEFI and GPT and Lenovo. (I'm an embedded systems guy, not a boot master.)

And I need to learn about getting my recordings from my LinHES on insufficient HW to the Lenovo/Mythbuntu machine, so there won't be too much resistance to switch back to LinHES if and when the time comes.

In fact, I could keep LinHES on the "insufficient HW" and run it as a backend, it might just need a disk, and I could use the Lenovo as a front end, maybe MythBuntu, or OpenElec even.

Hmmm. I want cheap, simple, low power, reliable, and a pony too. Not too much to ask. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 pm 
I wouldn't put your knowledge down, GPT is a really large topic and Linhes GPT only has existed since R8. Trying Ubuntu was another way to approach the problem.
That's why I mentioned just to try an older Linhes that uses MBR and Fdisk instead of GPT. I think it would also work but you would have to test it out..

Most of time we use this to update

Code:
Pacman -Syu 

Sometimes hardware is a real pain and it has nothing to do with cost. We have a spot on the board for Tier 3 hardware that does work. A lot of this problem seems to be related to
over engineered buggy custom bios.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:05 pm 
RacerX wrote:
That's why I mentioned just to try an older Linhes that uses MBR and Fdisk instead of GPT. I think it would also work but you would have to test it out..
I remember your suggestion, but I was thinking that was a dead end since I couldn't find a beta release 8 that was MBR. Could I have installed release 7, and updated it? Would I have the same version of myth (0.27/fixes)? What, if anything, would I be missing?

Edited to add: Am I correct that version 7.4 is MBR?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
I'd try R7.4 for now and see if that gets around the issue. That would be a good place to start

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:07 pm 
OK, I have my 7.4 CD, and my recordings archived. But I'm not real sure where I will end up, after reading a few different places on this site that you can't update 7.x to 8. What will and won't I have after an upgrade?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:17 pm 
One issue at a time does R7.4 get around the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 pm 
RacerX wrote:
One issue at a time does R7.4 get around the problem?
I haven't tried yet; MythBuntu is mostly working, and I'm supposed to be working on my taxes :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:25 pm 
btm wrote:
OK, I have my 7.4 CD, and my recordings archived. But I'm not real sure where I will end up, after reading a few different places on this site that you can't update 7.x to 8. What will and won't I have after an upgrade?
R7.4 is on mythtv .25 so if you have any other machines on another version you won't be able to connect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 pm 
The problem that your having with booting GPT seems to be related to bios and or grub. There are quite few people having trouble with Levono PC's and GPT with Linux and Windows. It's interesting that it works with Ubuntu. Because in the past it did not work. Some users had success using gummiboot instead of Grub. By testing R7.4 you would be able to see is it works with MBR and FDISK and Linhes in general.. R8 was a major upgrade and it's possible that it's a bug in grub.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 pm 
OK, I'm backing up my MythBuntu system, and I'll try to install 7.4 on that machine. I expect it will work.

If that works, I may then try: Remove my video card (that seems to require CSM on), turn off CSM, and try to install 8.1 using the on-board video. I don't suspect that it will be able to fulfill frontend duty that way, but it would help confirm my hunch is that it is the combination of GPT and CSM that is giving my UEFI such a hard time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:28 pm 
btm wrote:
OK, I'm backing up my MythBuntu system, and I'll try to install 7.4 on that machine. I expect it will work.
That install booted, as I expected. I'm fairly sure that it is MBR, like the MythBuntu install.

btm wrote:
If that works, I may then try: Remove my video card (that seems to require CSM on), turn off CSM, and try to install 8.1.1 using the on-board video. I don't suspect that it will be able to fulfill frontend duty that way, but it would help confirm my hunch is that it is the combination of GPT and CSM that is giving my UEFI such a hard time.
Not as much luck here. Without the video card, regardless of the CSM setting, the install would proceed to the point where you press/click on the long "OK" bar to proceed with the install. At this point, the box would stop the video signal to the monitor, and the DVD would spin down. No response that I could see to either mouse or keyboard; just silent and dark, like the PC was off, but the power was still on, and the CPU fan was still running. I tried both VGA and HDMI; same results.

(Updated to say it was 8.1.1, not 8.1 as I originally posted.)

(Update 2: Today's thought: Since I can get LinHES 8.1.1 to boot indirectly from HD if I boot the LinHES CD and select (something like) "boot installed OS", I should be able to use a bootloader on a MBR device (another HD or a USB stick) to boot LinHES. Duh.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:48 pm 
Well, that seems to be a solution, or rather a workaround. That is, I'm booting from a MBR drive with grub on it, and there is a grub entry to boot the LinHES disk.

I installed an old laptop drive into the box, and disconnected the mythbuntu drive. I installed LinHES to the laptop drive (which again didn't boot, but I had to try!)
I reconnected the mythbuntu drive, and I mounted the LinHES partitions to it. I then did "sudo update-grub" which found the LinHES install and added a grub entry for it. I later edited /etc/default/grub, and ran update-grub with LinHES mounted to make LinHES the default boot.

So, I feel like I have something I can work with now. Yea!

Next up:

1. Moving the recordings from mythbuntu to LinHES. I backed them up with mytharchive from the menu (on an external HD), but it is very slow going to import them one at a time with the GUI. I think I can do them from the command line with a script, but I'll need to figure out this "chanid" stuff. Or, since I can mount the mythbuntu disk, I could just copy over the files and manually insert them in the DB.

2. Recover some disk by shrinking mythbuntu (one big ext4 partition), and making an XFS partition and adding the storage to LinHES.

3. Figure out the component video out on my video card, and hooking it up to the TV, and shrinking/moving the picture due to overscan.

4. Getting a IR receiver, and making it work with my Harmony remote.

5. Watch TV? Nah, that's boring :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:16 pm 
4+ year later, I repurposing the machine with Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS. I should have relived the pain and help I received in this thread, but I had forgotten about it. Anyway, if anyone has to deal with an infernal Lenovo EFI system, I thought I would add 2 more cents here. Ubuntu would install, but wouldn't boot: "Error 1962: No operating system found". This system wants to boot Windows so bad you must rename an EFI file to fake it out.

I found help here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13153716

The key lines:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2238714
From live installer mount the efi partition on hard drive:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt/EFI

use ls to see if created correctly
ls -l
mkdir Microsoft
mkdir Microsoft/Boot
cp /mnt/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /mnt/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Go to page Previous  1, 2