View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 pm 
Hello,
I've been struggling with a v7.2 -> 8.11 upgrade for a while now. I have the backup from the old system, and I've managed to upload it to the new one through the Health and Maintenance page. It just never shows up in the dropdown to do the restore. I tried doing a restore from the command-line, but that restored everything, which really screwed up things.

So, how can I get the Health and Maintenance page to update? Or how can I do the partial restore via the command-line?

Definitely loosing points with my wife this week.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 am 
Going from R7.2 directly to R8.1 is possible with a partial restore but I wouldn't recommend it simply because the mythtv db is going from .24 to .27. I have found going to R7.4 (mythtv .25) and then R8 (mythtv .25) and then to R8.1 (mythtv .27) to be the least problematic.

How did you backup R7.2? In the R7.x days there were 2 types of backups. http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... nd_Restore The new type, which is all R8 supports, is found in the system_backups folder and is created with lh_system_backup. If you followed the upgrade guide your backup should be named backup.DATE.tgz. If the backup is not named something like this Health and Maintenance will never find it. You can check the dir /data/storage/disk0/backup/system_backups/ to see if your backup file is being uploaded or manually place the file there and it should show in Health and Maintenance.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am 
Oh and the command line lh_system_restore_job will give you instructions.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am 
I'd upgrade my 7.2, but it is in bad shape. Won't even boot now. But I was able to create the backup.date.tgz file and get that copied off to a different server. The main drive works fine, but my large data drive is having issues. Oh, and I did verify that the backup did get copied to the disk0 system_backups folder. I've even tried rebooting the PC to see if that is necessary to refresh Xymon.

I ran the lh_system_restore_job script with my backup file, and it did the restore, but it seemed to be a full restore, so all of the data paths were over written and all of the other settings. I tried a --help or -h option to get the command-line parameters for that, but it seems to just keep starting a restore, even with no command-line options.

What does the "partial restore" bring back? I am really hoping to just get my list of recorded shows imported. I am also hopeful that I can get my recording off the drive before it finally dies. That's my project for today at work. :) Though, that requires that I can import the recordings data.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am 
I am downloading R8 and I'll install that tonight when I get home to see if that works better. If I can do the restore through that, then I'll upgrade that system to R8.1.1. And it looks like the upgrade from R8 -> R8.1.1 should be fairly straight forward.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am 
Running lh_system_restore_job with nothing else should give you the usage screen which explains that you can select partial like;
Code:
lh_system_restore_job backup.2011-12-22_15-34.tgz partial
Since you already did a full restore you should reinstall R8.1.1 to get a clean db and then do a partial restore.
I have seen an odd situation where some browsers would not upload the backup file but others would. That was back in R8 beta days and I haven't seen it since and I don't remember what combination of browsers it was.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 am 
Thanks, yeah, at this point I was figuring on reinstalling again (I've lost track of the number of times I've been through this install, mostly for silly reasons.) But wanted to figure out what I should be doing for the partial restore before trying to tackle this again. And this time I'll do R8 first. I've burned the disc, so I should be good to go.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 pm 
I had some issues when I moved from R7.4 to R8. It was mainly do to being used to the old way of backing up via the gui. But I finally got it to go with the partial restore this doc was very hepfull

http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Upgrading_LinHES_R7X_to_R8

this in particular

Quote:
Backup R7 system

On the R7 system create a system backup and copy it to another machine.
To create the backup run: sudo lh_system_backup_job
This will create a file in /myth/system_backups/ named backup.$todays_date.
Next copy the most recent backup file to another machine, preferably one with a web browser that can be used later.
If you are reusing a R7 hard drive then all of /myth will need to be copied to another machine.

The backup in R8 is much improved. Once you get to R8 you immediately see the difference. Also my R7.4 system was completely only booting to cmd but I was able to get the backup running it manually and this worked fine with the partial restore.

Glad to see your upgrading ...R8.1.1 it's an excellent release :D

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:48 pm 
Thankfully, my R8 install proceeded without a hitch, and the partial backup restored successfully. I deleted and recreated my tuners, and did the channel scan just in time for one of my recording to begin. Once that completed I ran the command-line upgrade to 8.1. Which also finished without issue. I am now in the process of copying my 650GB of recordings to my new drive.

Tomorrow I tackle the front end, which I have split from the backend with this transition.

A big thanks to everyone here for pointing me down the right path to get this completed successfully.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT