View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:12 pm 
Folks,

I am in need if help - post install configuration has totally hosed my R8.1.1 installation. Now I cannot get the system to boot past the splash screen. Here is what happened:

I performed a fresh install of R8.1.1 on a newly built system. The hardware was tested previously with mythbuntu 14.04.1, and worked fine. I decided not to use mythbuntu and go with LinHES R8.1.1 instead. I performed the install from the CD without many major problems. I had the system mostly up and working. I could watch Live TV but had no sound output - the "AOOSS Error opening audio device" problem. I went to Service Menu -> LinHES Settings -> Audio and Service Menu -> MythTv Settings -> Setup -> Audio and was able to fix this though. I only mention this because going into those menus made me think "Oh - it might be good to step through all of these setup menus to make sure I have everything configured OK"... This was a sanity type check I planned to do...

So, I proceeded down the LinHES Settings menus first... I went into each option starting from the top down. I do not remember changing any of the settings, I just eye-balled them and then clicked "Finish" to exit. I noticed that even though I made no changes, a dialog would come up saying "please wait while system is configured" or something like that. I cannot remember which menu I was on, but after clicking Finish the dialog hung and never completed. After waiting a long time for it to finish, I finally tried to exit that menu. I could not. I tried ESC, switching to a different TTY, CTRL-ALT-DEL - nothing worked. I had to do a hard reset. Upon rebooting, the splash screen appeared and I never got to X or Myth. The boot hung there with the 5 dots blinking...

Using TTY 2, I looked at the logs under /var/logs/<date>/ and found the following pieces of information that did not look right to me:
Code:
no screens found (i.e. unable to start X)
:
MythBE object has no attribute "hostname" in  ignored
:
Couldn't connect to MythTV service for status

The /var/log/Xorg.log ended with failures to load fglrx and nvidia - which made no sense - I have a GeForce 640GT and the nvidia driver was working fine before.

Another symptom is that the network (eth0) is now not connecting to my local network (much less the internet).

I checked the <host>-messages.log aro.../MythVantage/system_config.sh ddns
und the time that I was going through the LinHES settings menus. I saw the the last couple of scripts that were executed were:
.../MythVantage/system_config.sh ddns
.../MythVantage/system_config.sh fileshare

SO, it was probably the last script (fileshare) that caused the system to get hosed. I tried running it again from the TTY and it passed with a 0 return code. I rebooted, but still no go.

As far as networking, I entered a hostname of "dragon" during the installation prompts. I used to have a dragon before this and liked the name, so I thought I would reuse it, though this is not a dragon KRP system. Anyway, I recall seeing something about using a ".local" suffix if you did not have a DNS server running. I ignored that advice, not wanting to have to type "dragon.local" to access the host. So I only entered "dragon" for the hostname. Is this the source of my problem? (BTW: I do not have a local DNS server). Just using the simpler hostname was fine in the past...

I had to do a lot of configuration to get this far and would really not want to have to start all over again. Any help on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:57 pm 
Just a guess no idea of your hardware other than Nvida 640Gt which is compliant, Some users with Intel hardware need nomodeset or else they get a black sceen on bootup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:12 am 
RacerX wrote:
Just a guess no idea of your hardware other than Nvida 640Gt which is compliant, Some users with Intel hardware need nomodeset or else they get a black sceen on bootup

Thanks for replying. My hardware is as follows:

ASRock B75 Pro3-M
Intel i3 3220T
EVGA Geforce GT 640

I have successfully stress tested this system and had both mythbuntu and Linhes 8.1.1 running on it. So, I think the hardware is OK without the nomodeset option. The problem started when I went into the LinHES settings/setup menus and exited without making any changes. The messages log seems to indicate that the menu executed the following before everything froze:

.../MythVantage/system_config.sh ddns
.../MythVantage/system_config.sh fileshare

Now, I cannot boot, as the system fails to start X and loops in this state. Also, the eth0 network port is not functioning.

I tried the MythBuntu live DVD and the hardware starts and works just fine with that (networking, X, etc.), so this is a configuration issue that has somehow been introduced - not a problem with the hardware that I can tell...

Any thoughts on how the system_config.sh script might have altered the working configuration I had previously? Another question: does the fact that I entered "dragon" for my hostname when I do not have a local DNS server have any bearing on the situation?

Thanks,
Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 am 
It is unlikely that systemconfig of ddns or fileshare would kill both xorg and networking. Check the logs at /tmp/systemconfig.log and /tmp/systemconfig_debug.log. /tmp/systemconfig.call shows what module was run last.

I do not run a DNS server and I have never used .local. I don't think there is anything special with the dragon hostname.

After checking the logs you can try to reconfig the systems from a command line with:
Code:
sudo systemconfig.py -m all

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 am 
Can you boot with the "no splash screen" (it might also be called "no bootsplash") option from Grub?

If yes, try disabling bootsplash in LinHES config.

I once had a problem with bootsplash similar to yours, and after disabling it I never had any issues again.

jens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm 
brfransen wrote:
It is unlikely that systemconfig of ddns or fileshare would kill both xorg and networking. Check the logs at /tmp/systemconfig.log and /tmp/systemconfig_debug.log. /tmp/systemconfig.call shows what module was run last.

I do not run a DNS server and I have never used .local. I don't think there is anything special with the dragon hostname.

After checking the logs you can try to reconfig the systems from a command line with:
Code:
sudo systemconfig.py -m all

Thanks - I checked the systemconfig* logs you mentioned. According to systemconfig.call, the last module run was "ddns". Interesting, since the messages log indicated that fileshare was the last one. Perhaps fileshare did not complete and thus it is suspect? Without eth0 working on that machine, I have no easy way to get to the logs to attach them here (short of removing the HD and moving it to my desktop - pain).

Transcribing a few bits - the systemconfig.log says:
Code:
Couldn't find eth0 in list
Using lo as interface name

So, it seems eth0 was disabled before ddns was run!

I am going to try re-running sudo systemconfig.py -m all as you suggested now...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm 
Well, I reran sudo systemconfig.py -m all... The output looked OK until the end, there were failure messages about starting X. A reboot later, and I am still staring at the same problem. :cry:

Since I have just freshly installed, I know I can wipe the drive and re-install over again. I only have to spend the time to go through all the prompts again... :shock:

I did not try the nosplash option - everything was working fine before I fiddled with the Linhes settings...

Any other ideas before I wipe and reinstall? :roll:

TIA...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:35 pm 
What does ifconfig show?

In the systemconfig log what does it say about xconfig?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:08 pm 
FWIW I found out the hard way that the host name MUST stay the same if the computer is going to become your new mythbackend. Something gets weird in the Database if you change it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:01 pm 
ifconfig shows:
Code:
lo:  flags=73<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING> mtu 16436  metric 1
      inet 127.0.0.1  Mask 255.0.0.0
      ....  the rest is typical ....

That is it - only lo: - no other entry for eth0:.

For the systemconfig_debug.log - I took two photos and attached the files... :)
Strange that the nvidia driver is not being installed - like I said, before the setup menus it was installed and live TV was playing fine.

Attachments
File comment: systemconfig_debug.log - xconfig
P1160202.JPG
P1160202.JPG [ 232.61 KiB | Viewed 10949 times ]
File comment: systemconfig_debug.log - start - notice eth0 not found
P1160201.JPG
P1160201.JPG [ 188.95 KiB | Viewed 10949 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:05 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
FWIW I found out the hard way that the host name MUST stay the same if the computer is going to become your new mythbackend. Something gets weird in the Database if you change it.

Thanks... I am also aware of this, and I did not change the hostname the second time I ran the setup config script. in fact, the script used all the values I had previously entered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:41 am 
The system losing eth0 looks to be the reason for the problem with the nvidia driver. Although the pkgs should be in the pacman cache it doesn't appear that they are. Check
Code:
cat /proc/net/dev
If eth0 is missing it seems the kernel isn't creating it. I am not sure how systemconfig could have done that. At this point I would try a reinstall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 am 
ASRock B75 Pro3-M uses onboard Realtek 8111E. This nic has driver problems with Kernel 3. It's it only works correctly with a narrow range of revisions. Every time the Kernel changes it's an adventure.

Linhes 8.1.1
Code:
uname -r = 3.6.7-1

MythBuntu live DVD works with Kernel 3.1?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:16 pm 
brfransen wrote:
The system losing eth0 looks to be the reason for the problem with the nvidia driver. Although the pkgs should be in the pacman cache it doesn't appear that they are. Check
Code:
cat /proc/net/dev
If eth0 is missing it seems the kernel isn't creating it. I am not sure how systemconfig could have done that. At this point I would try a reinstall.

Thanks, @brfransen. I checked /proc/net/dev and only "lo" was listed, no eth0.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm 
RacerX wrote:
ASRock B75 Pro3-M uses onboard Realtek 8111E. This nic has driver problems with Kernel 3. It's it only works correctly with a narrow range of revisions. Every time the Kernel changes it's an adventure.

Linhes 8.1.1
Code:
uname -r = 3.6.7-1

MythBuntu live DVD works with Kernel 3.1?

Thanks, @RacerX! Darn - I was not aware that the NIC on the ASRock B75 Pro3-M had issues under certain Linux versions... Shoot.

Do you also own a board which uses the Realtek 8111E? Do you know where one can find information about the driver stability under different kernel versions?

I did not check the kernel version for the mythbuntu live DVD, but yes, the network worked fine when I tried a test install. For that matter, the network was running fine as far as I can tell with LinHES 8.1.1, until I played with the LinHES settings menus...

Well, Since I need to make progress on this, I will perform a reinstall and keep an eye on the network.

So, hitting "Finish" in any of the settings menus will cause a re-config even if there were no changes? Hopefully hitting "Cancel" will just exit without performing a re-config.

Thanks...

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next