View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:22 pm 
I've decided to make the jump from LH7.1 to LH8.2 and would like to ask for advice/suggestions on how to proceed.
A complete new backend system (case, power supply, mb, AMD quad core CPU, 16GB memory, 120GB SSD, and 3 3TB WD Purple HDs is being delivered tomorrow (Newegg Black Friday sale).

Current LH7.1
/dev/disk/by-uuid/7eb32d92-277d-4bf7-9650-b34a28d4ec95 4.9G 3.5G 1.2G 75% /
/dev/sda3 - 911G 848G 17G 99% /myth2
/dev/sdb1 - 1.4T 1.3T 18G 99% /myth <--- Note: /myth is on /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1 - 1.8T 1.7T 17G 100% /myth3

I'm planning to build the new LH8.2 system isolated from the old running (production) LH7.1 The new system will run parallel until I have confidence in the new system (both hardware and software).

Is the LH7.1 database going to convert over to the LH8.2 system (or do I have to go with LH7.4 and/or LH8.0 first)?

Should/can I do a LH8.2 install and then partially restore the old LH7.1 database via mythweb and then add the other (new) drives back in?

Should I build the new LH8.2 system and use it (e.g. via rsync) to copy the data from LH7.1 to the new LH8.2 drives? (or have the data copied and ready to go before doing the install?)

Are the current (LH7.1) mount points going to give me any trouble (e.g. will the file locations be correctly updated in the new database?)

I have several old Lenovo T60 laptop frontends that only have a 32 bit CPU (they work really well on 720P TVs). Is there anyway to continue to use the existing 32 bit CPUs as frontends?

Any other suggestions anyone can make?

My family really loves our LinHES system. This month marks the 10 year anniversary of our first KnoppMyth 4.5 system! (still have a couple of recordings from December 2004) :)

Thanks in advance
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:17 am 
For the most part you can follow: http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... _R7X_to_R8

mitmwp wrote:
Is the LH7.1 database going to convert over to the LH8.2 system (or do I have to go with LH7.4 and/or LH8.0 first)?

Should/can I do a LH8.2 install and then partially restore the old LH7.1 database via mythweb and then add the other (new) drives back in?
The mythtv db should be fine to go from LH7.1 (myth .24) but you do need to do a partial restore as mentioned in the wiki. Once the db is restored use add_storage.py to add the media drives to the system. This will create the correct storage groups and mounts on the R8.x system.

Quote:
Should I build the new LH8.2 system and use it (e.g. via rsync) to copy the data from LH7.1 to the new LH8.2 drives? (or have the data copied and ready to go before doing the install?)
Assuming you used Storage Groups on the R7.1 system, yes just rsync, or any other copy method, to copy over the recordings to the new Storage Groups directories that add_storage.py created. Recordings will be mounted at /data/storage/disk$Num/media/tv. Video will be mounted at /data/storage/disk$NUM/media/video.

Quote:
Are the current (LH7.1) mount points going to give me any trouble (e.g. will the file locations be correctly updated in the new database?)
For recordings using Storage Groups, no the old mounts won't matter. For videos you will need to copy the files to vidoe storage group and then rescan.

Quote:
I have several old Lenovo T60 laptop frontends that only have a 32 bit CPU (they work really well on 720P TVs). Is there anyway to continue to use the existing 32 bit CPUs as frontends?
Install another OS that has 32-bit support and mythfrontend packages.