View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: squashfs errors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 am 
I've been trying to install LinHES 8.3 on a frontend only system (currently running 8.1) and haven't had any luck.

The install stops at arbitrary points in the process, but usually near the end, raising the "FAILED, rsync" error. I see a heap of lines in dmesg that look like

Code:
xz decompression failed, data probably corrupt
squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x....

google tells me that this is likely a hardware issue, so I've tried 3 different USB thumb drives, all with the same end result. I thought it must be a problem with the USB ports on the PC, so I tried installing off the network with a PXE boot (which was a pain), but ended up with the same error (although further along the process). The machine works fine day-to-day with 8.1, so I don't really want to throw it away for a new one just yet.

Is there another way I can try installing it?

I can install into a virtual machine with no problems. I like the idea of installing in a virtual machine, then using clonezilla to copy onto the target machine. The concern I have is that the hardware (nvidia graphics, remote, audio) won't be picked up in the VM install. Is it possible to do that manually once I move the installation across?

Post subject: Re: squashfs errors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:16 am 
What hardware do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:43 pm 
RacerX wrote:
What hardware do you have?

I should have mentioned that. It's an e-machines 1401 that I bought back in 2011. It has an AMD Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core (1.3GHz) and NVIDIA nForce 9200 inside. Like this old listing on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 pm 
First thing

Download memtest86+

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Choose Image for creating bootable USB Drive

Run the test and post back

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:09 am 
RacerX wrote:
Run the test and post back

No problems there. I ran Memtest 86+ v4.20 for about 3.5 hours (about 4.5 cycles through the tests) with no errors.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:05 pm 
Sounds good have a look at this post it might be a problem with grub/grub2 . The devs might know the difference between r8.1 and r8.3.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1573406

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 am 
tl;dr my current suspicion is that the nvidia driver is at the root of my problems and the squashfs errors are misleading.

The long version ...
I was reading up on the possibility of adding an iso to the frontend grub menu (as suggested by RacerX) when I came across loading the iso into RAM. This is nice, it allows the possibility of having several ISOs on the same bootable thumb drive and selecting which one to use. I can check the md5 sum of the iso once its on the drive to reduce the possibility of a bad flash drive.

I used that method to try installing both 8.3 and 8.2 and, rather than raise the squashfs errors, the install always crashed early on with a corrupt screen. Suspecting the video driver I tried the 8.3 install using the "force vesa driver" option. The install completed without any problems!

The new install appeared to work, but was using the vesa driver. I navigated around a few menus in myth to test it, but nothing more. As root I ran xconfig.sh which detected and installed the nvidia driver (nvidia 340, which I believe is the correct one for my hardware). On a reboot (tried several times) the system was obviously using the nvidia driver (higher resolution screen) and crashed soon after X started.

I think I'm closer to figuring out what the issue is, but not much closer to updating LinHES.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 am 
did you try updating from 8.1 instead of doing a fresh install? Can you force the old (8.1) video drivers on to the 8.3 system? Does a brand new install of mythbuntu or Ubuntu work?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 am 
Sounds like the same error I saw with R8.3 and R8.2 fresh installs on my friend's machine. It also uses nVidia and died at the same point in installation as yours did. We never found a work-around so we left him at R7.2 for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 am 
Looking at the Nvidia docs I see the 9200 is supported.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverRe ... 6884/en-us

How about trying the install with a usb cd/dvd drive to see if that provides a clue....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 am 
What does Linux say the video card is? According to this post the "GeForce Nforce 9200" never existed.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... o-request/

In the end he says that Ubuntu is recognizing it as an nForce 8200 and CPU-Z says it's a nForce 720a both are supported with the nVidia driver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 am 
He said Nvida 9200 on-board graphics on a mini desktop similar to acer revo.it's not a card....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:57 am 
mattbatt wrote:
According to this post the "GeForce Nforce 9200" never existed.
"lspci | grep -i vga" says NVIDIA Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] (rev a2).

No luck with anything so far. I've tried
1. Upgrading to 8.3 in vesa mode, doing a system upgrade, then running /usr/MythVantage/bin/xconfig.sh (after a reboot). That installs the latest nvidia driver, but the system continues to crash.
2. Installing the older driver on the new system. I edited the PKGBUILD to ignore the linux version, but compiling failed.
3. Installing the newer driver on the 8.1 system. Won't compile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:13 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Sounds like the same error I saw with R8.3 and R8.2 fresh installs on my friend's machine. It also uses nVidia and died at the same point in installation as yours did. We never found a work-around so we left him at R7.2 for now.
You have similar hardware to what I'm using (AMD with nvidia on-board graphics). If you're keen you could try 8.1 and cross your fingers?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:40 am 
How about this has something to do with nvidia and the kernel

modprobe.d

add

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_EnableMSI=0

Go to page 1, 2  Next