View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:20 pm 
I recently tried to upgrade my R8.3 system to R8.6 using the guide here: http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/roadmap

After the upgrade completed, I rebooted as instructed in the guide. However, the system won't boot now. I see a normal-looking POST up to the starting grub (or is it welcome to grub?) prompt appears. There's a "waiting 10 seconds for /dev/by-uuid/<actual UUID>" followed by a warning that the root drive <same UUID> can't be found. It drops me into a recovery mode at which time my PS/2 keyboard is no longer functional. The num lock light is still illuminated, but no keys actually work. I tried rebooting a few times in case it was something that would fix itself, but so far no luck. Without the keyboard working, I'm having trouble getting anywhere with troubleshooting. I can't check any logs or anything because I can't type on the machine.

Any ideas how to proceed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 pm 
I managed to get a working system again. I initially tried running the upgrade from the DVD, but I chickened out when it said it would wipe the root partition and re-install LinHES. Instead, I used the steps found here to get the system in working order. Since it was for a different Arch distro (Manjaro), some of the steps might be redundant, but at least the system booted.

Here's a quick summary if you don't want to read the link. Boot to the LinHES CD and switch to the terminal. Perform the following:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/linhes
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/linhes
cd /mnt/linhes
mount -t proc proc proc/ 
mount -t sysfs sys sys/ 
mount -o bind /dev dev/
chroot . /bin/bash 
dhcpcd eth0
pacman -Syy 
pacman -Syu 
pacman -S udev 
pacman -S mkinitcpio 
pacman -Sy linux 
mikinitcpio -p linux
exit 
reboot

It might not be the ideal solution, but it worked for me!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:01 pm 
Thanks for posting your solution. I will definitely keep it in mind for future reference.

I've been in the same place before that you were.

My solution was to do the upgrade from the ISO to recover. Yes it does what it says. The good news is that it's all your data is elsewhere. The process works but I usually have to make some minor changes to get everything working.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am 
tscholl wrote:
Thanks for posting your solution. I will definitely keep it in mind for future reference.

I've been in the same place before that you were.

My solution was to do the upgrade from the ISO to recover. Yes it does what it says. The good news is that it's all your data is elsewhere. The process works but I usually have to make some minor changes to get everything working.

Thanks, I found your post later when I was searching for something different. I've been away from the system so long that I couldn't remember what exactly I have stored on the / partition. I was willing to try it if the manjaro commands didn't work, but fortunately they did.