View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm 
I've been looking at the Acer Aspire Revo AR-1600 that is available at Newegg for $200. I'd like to use it as a frontend hooked directly my my LCD TV via HDMI (video+audio). I have a Streamzap IR receiver to add remote control support. So here are my questions:

1. Does HDMI audio work out-of-the box or do I need to mess with ALSA configs, etc?

2. Is the ION 230 powerful enough for 720p/1080i MPEG2 OTA recordings?

3. Does R6 include VPDAU support for 1080p H.264?

4. Are there any other installation/configuration issues with R6 for the ION at this time?

Thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:18 pm 
cfoxga wrote:
1. Does HDMI audio work out-of-the box or do I need to mess with ALSA configs, etc?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/411582

cfoxga wrote:
2. Is the ION 230 powerful enough for 720p/1080i MPEG2 OTA recordings?

Search the same list referenced above. Short answer is yes.

cfoxga wrote:
3. Does R6 include VPDAU support for 1080p H.264?

If you use the 0.22 packages or the patched 0.21 packages with VDPAU support, yes. There are many caveats so I recommend a good amount of research on your part before jumping in head first.

cfoxga wrote:
4. Are there any other installation/configuration issues with R6 for the ION at this time?

None that I know of, but I could be wrong. Search.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 am 
cfoxga wrote:
I've been looking at the Acer Aspire Revo AR-1600 that is available at Newegg for $200. I'd like to use it as a frontend hooked directly my my LCD TV via HDMI (video+audio). I have a Streamzap IR receiver to add remote control support.

Chris, I've got R6 installed on my Revo AR-1600 as a front-end only system. I was starting to dig into how to solve all the various problems (high CPU utilization, etc.) when I saw this thread. Would you mind sharing the various steps you needed to take to get R6 to work on this platform? Thanks!

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:08 am 
Start by getting 0.22 running:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 am 
nharris wrote:

Can a 0.22 front end work against an R5.5 backend?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:14 am 
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Only if you are running the same 0.22 version on R5.5 which you would need to compile yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 am 
OK, thanks for the quick reply. I'm not ready to upgrade my backend system to R6 + 0.22 until its a stable environment, as that is the main system for the house. I've installed R6 from the download distribution and I can't seem to get XVMC working with this machine. Since all of my hidef playback is currently mpeg2, XVMC should be sufficient for now. Do you now if there is anything special I need to do to get XVMC working? I've already tweaked xorg.conf. Would updating the nvidia drivers help, and if so, how does one do this on R6? I'm familiar with doing these things on R5.5, but I am new to Arch/ R6. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 am 
Updates are handled via pacman.
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu

I have been using VDPAU decode for a very long time now, so I can't remember the horror that is XVMC. I'm not sure if you will be able to get it running on the Ion platform at all. I recommend holding your breath and jumping to 0.22 as it's the "stable" MythTV release right now. But, is it stable enough of you? Only you can answer that. I'm running 0.23 trunk right now... so I'm the wrong one to answer that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 pm 
I've got two ASROCK 330 IONs acting as frontends. The one in the living room is the "main unit", so I spent the most time configuring it.

It had a bad habit of "hiccuping" during live TV playback of HD channels. It was set to "CPU+" playback profile, and I hadn't bothered to fool with that setting thinking something else was the cause, and of course I was waiting for .22, so I thought I'd just put up with it, so it remained running R6 .21.

This evening, on a lark, I thought I'd change the playback settings. Lo and behold, setting it to "High Quality" seems to have magically cured it of the hiccups.

Not a hiccup for the last 45min of continuous live TV (Springsteen in NYC on Palladia...woot!).

This little computer continues to impress; a bargain @ $349. The only mods I did were to overclock the CPU to 2.1GHz. Otherwise, stock config.

Using HDMI for video and S/PDIF for audio. I have a dastardly plan to remove its 320Gb harddrive and try an internal 8Gb CF just to see if it works (the 320Gb drive is overkill since the space used on it is minimal).

I must say that I have spent a lot of time "getting to know" R6. Much time spent learning Arch...a royal pain, but ultimately, well, I really can't complain. Installing R6 on the ION was easy and completed without issue.

I do subscribe to the KnoppMyth nee LinHES philosophy of an "appliance-mentality". There are caveats, of course. Hardware compatibility was my biggest hurdle. It didn't help that my trusty backend of R4 thru R5.5 fame died right about the time for the R6 upgrade. Convincing an eMachines computer that it really could run Arch proved to be an exercise in hilarity but ultimately successful.

Okay, I'll STFU now.

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)