View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:42 pm 
In the new year I will be setting up my Myth box with a new TV and with these new fandangled TVs they have so many connection options I am just not sure which one is the best to use.

Now I don't have to worry about audio as I have a stereo the pumps out the noises for me so that is not a consideration. I also appreciate that going to VGA is reverting the signal to analog, but that should not be a reason if you get great picture quality.

Could any offer up some practical experience as to which one is a better option, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:59 pm 
DVI to HDMI is the easiest. Monoprice is one of the best online sellers of cables that I've used. $6 for a high quality cable for example: DVI to HDMI. Do NOT pay full retail at stores like best buy and the like as you will get ripped off! I just checked on BB.com and found an 8' DVI to HDMI cable for $68! The link I posted to mono price is a 10' cable and it's $6. One of the Internet's best-kept secrets :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 am 
Thanks for the link graysky, but as i live in Oz it may not be much help to me. As to paying full price no chance, I already have spoken to the guy where I bought the TV and he will give them to me for about 1/2 price.

I have just thought of another senario, DVI to Female HDMI and then a HDMI lead of the desired length. Would this be just as good as a straight DVI to HDMI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 pm 
I use a 3 metre dvi-hdmi cable connected to a 10 metre hdmi-hdmi cable using a female-female hdmi adaptor, so there should be no problem with what you are suggesting (if you can get a cable with a female hdmi connection).

For cheap cables in australia: msy.com.au ($17 10m hdmi-hdmi, $8 = 3m dvi-hdmi)

I got the adaptor from Jaycar because that was the only place I could find one and it cost more than the 10 metre cable!