View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: SSD HD for root
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:17 pm 
I purchased a OCZ Onyx 32GB SDD Firmware 1.51 about three weeks ago, newegg $82 with -$10 MIR. There was some questionable feedback and I was a bit worried, but at the price I couldn't pass up. I've been very pleased.

LinHES 6.2 loaded without issue. I did add some database info, but not a full restore as I was thinking I might have had some problems from eons past. I put this drive in my MBE an ONLY use it for / and swap. I have been running flawlessly for about three weeks.

I don't know if swap on SSD is the best idea, I might change this in the future. I also plan on using the extra root partition for two diskless FEs, but I haven't had a lot of time to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:38 pm 
I did this at work a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the result. My workstation boots like a fiend and stuff runs much better. I put /boot and / on the SSD and /home on a separate rotating disk. It's fabulous. If I could afford it I'd do it to my mythbox in a heartbeat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 am 
I'm considering the same disk for a super fast frontend only machine.

How long does it take you to boot Linhes from the ONYX?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:16 pm 
I'd like to know if you noticed any power reduction since using the SSD. My MBE and SBE use a dedicated IDE drive for root and swap. I'm using WD Green's for the /myth partitions.

I don't think using the SSD for swap would be advisable, UNLESS you're running about <=2% below on the RRD graphs for swap. Add more RAM if that's happening. RAM is cheaper than replacing an SSD.

--

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 pm 
benotto wrote:
I'm considering the same disk for a super fast frontend only machine.

How long does it take you to boot Linhes from the ONYX?

I haven't timed the boot, can I get it from a log or dmesg or something? But really, it doesn't 'feel' like it is any faster at boot, maybe a bit. Then again, I haven't booted this drive in weeks, as it sits in my MBE.

I have had zero problems with this drive to date. I did a clean install when I got it and I couldn't be happier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 pm 
larrybpsu wrote:
I'd like to know if you noticed any power reduction since using the SSD. My MBE and SBE use a dedicated IDE drive for root and swap. I'm using WD Green's for the /myth partitions.

I don't think using the SSD for swap would be advisable, UNLESS you're running about <=2% below on the RRD graphs for swap. Add more RAM if that's happening. RAM is cheaper than replacing an SSD.

--

Larry

Well, I really should invest in a kill-a-watt, so I guess I don't have any evidence of power savings. But as for noise and heat, SSD can not be beat. Anecdotal evidence says my power bill has dropped a couple bucks, not enough to retire on and may just be a product of a cooler summer.

As for the swap, I agree it's not ideal. Reality is, I don't ever see any swap used, so I'm not sweating it at the moment.

Frankly these 30G +/- SSDs are great for mythbox root partitions, plenty of room. And as they come down in price with larger drives on the way, these little dudes should soon be cheaper then RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 am 
I put a OCZ drive 285M read / 275 Write in my main Arch system (not knoppmyth)

/ - SSD sda1
/home/ - HDD sdb1
/var/ - HDD sdb2
swap - HDD sdb3

Would boot (after BIOS load) in under 5 seconds if I didn't have to load the firmware for my HD2250

Post subject: Re: SSD HD for root
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I don't know if swap on SSD is the best idea.

Swap will cut the life of your drive by a lot, due to a finite number of writes to the drive. Root is perfect, since not much changes there, but two things to avoid with an SSD are swap and filling beyond about 70%.
Just talking about / here, with at least /home, /var, /myth and swap on non-SSDs.

Mike

Post subject: Re: SSD HD for root
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 pm 
manicmike wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I don't know if swap on SSD is the best idea.

Swap will cut the life of your drive by a lot, due to a finite number of writes to the drive. Root is perfect, since not much changes there, but two things to avoid with an SSD are swap and filling beyond about 70%.
Just talking about / here, with at least /home, /var, /myth and swap on non-SSDs.

Mike

Good point, Mike.

DOH! log is part of /var. :( I'm working too much and tired.) I was thinking that log needed to be moved. Stick foot in mouth. :oops:

I'm not sure if /dev and /sys should be moved off the SSD, too.