View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:54 pm 
With R5 I had some lockups, but usually the screen would just freeze. Ever since I upgraded to R6, I have had the display lockup with a pattern like this:
The colors will vary depending on what was on the screen at the time. Usually the display will pause for 1 or 2 seconds and the sound may repeat, but as soon as the screen does this the sound goes silent and everything just stops responding.

I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard and I'm using the onboard video DVI output, which I know others have used as well. I have a dual core processor and I recently replaced the RAM with 1GB from the qualified vendor list hoping it would solve this problem, but it hasn't. It is a combined frontend/backend and it happens with both playback of hd or sd. I even saw it happen once when in the menu for playing back recordings while it was previewing one in the small window. I cannot pinpoint it to any specific time or any other processes running at the same time, and I would estimate it happens about once per week.

Any thoughts on what the cause may be? Could it be the nvidia driver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:03 pm 
Hi knappster,

Same setup in 5.5 (bar ram swap)?

My guess would be a build up of heat... (but I always think that).
How is the onboard GPU cooled? Is there good through ventilation? Perhaps run with the case lid off for a few days?

Might be barking up the wrong tree, but might start you off.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm 
Besides the ram swap it is the same setup. It was a fresh install of R6, and the following things changed since the R6 install:

1) I made a homebrew IR receiver for my digital cable boxes once my cable company decided to stop analog broadcasts, but I think this was happening prior to that.
2) I did have a hard drive which kept losing it's SATA link to the motherboard and have replaced that. The problem definitely started before this hard drive replacement.

As for overheating, I wouldn't rule it out. The northbridge is passively cooled with a heatsink and I use the onboard video. It is in an enclosed cabinet which I cut holes and added 120 mm fans to increase airflow. However, I thought it would have been easier to repeat had it been heat related. Once it happens and I restart the box it does not happen again the same day. I thought it would have quickly reached the critical temperature again and frozen.

According to rrd the highest my processor has gotten in the past week is 50C and the highest my northbridge has gotten is 47C. I can't attest to how accurate that is though. I have 3 case fans, but I think they all have speeds proportional to temperature so they are not moving a ton of air. I also have one fan on the power supply. I don't know if I will get any definitive evidence by leaving the cover off because it is so inconsistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm 
Not a good answer but.... you could try installing a video card. it may be that the chip is fried or something.???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:15 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
Not a good answer but.... you could try installing a video card. it may be that the chip is fried or something.???

After switching from the onboard to a PCI Express video card I have had no more lockups. I'm battling a couple other issues, but that's one which I can put to rest.