View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: RF remote?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:54 pm 
I'm wanting to replace our previous remote (a MCE remote that was running through an iMON LCD receiver - we were having trouble with it, I think that the receiver hardware failed). I'm thinking of using this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emprex-3009URF-Windows-Center-Control/dp/B002A8HEFY/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I24G6L1MOVHZL1&colid=11LNM0QLD73QL

The fact that its RF (rather than IR) appeals to me. A bit of a google implies that its supported under linux (it appears as a keyboard rather than a remote in the usual sense, so no need for lirc), although all of the buttons may not work.

At the end of the day its only £18, so its not the end of the world, but: does anyone have experience with this bit of kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:51 pm 
that looks nice. I use a universal remote that i only IR so it wouldn't work for my SAF . Hey if it reaches between walls you could run a video line to a tv in the bedroom and watch mythtv in another room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:04 pm 
I've had this as an item on my Amazon wish list for a while and what do you know ... it appeared under the Christmas tree! The model on the link I provided in that previous post said 3009URF, I got a 3009ARF.

However nice it sounded from the blurb, I can't recommend it. One the plus side it's built nicely and it comes with batteries. It appears as two different keyboards (why 2?), so there is no lirc involved in using it and no system changes required to get the basic buttons working. On the other hand it is seriously quirky. Its responsiveness varies from instantaneous to about 30s (really!) regardless of how close the remote is to its receiver. Sometimes it will save up presses for about 20s and then spew them all out. This isn't a linux issue, it happens exactly the same way on our Win7 machine. Also apparently some of the "keys" don't map nicely through the usual linux keyboard device handlers and get lost on the way, so useful buttons like the big green windows button and the navigation buttons (RecTV, LiveTV, Guide etc.) will not work.

We will persevere with it for a little while, so I've put together a key mapping for it, which helps with some of the buttons that are recognised, but not mapped to anything useful for myth. So in /home/mythtv/.Xmodmap I have
Code:
keycode 174 = Escape
keycode 127 = p
keycode 175 = r
keycode 215 = p
keycode 176 = Left
keycode 216 = Right
keycode 173 = Prior
keycode 171 = Next
keycode 166 = Escape
keycode 138 = i
keycode 123 = F11
keycode 122 = F10
keycode 121 = F9
And I've added the lines
Code:
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
  xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi
to /usr/LH/bin/LinHES-run. There is a .xinitrc in /home/mythtv, but its not called (which had me stumped for a while).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I found the relevant keycodes by running xev (the X event display program) and watching the output while pressing the remote buttons.