View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 am 
So my long time router D-link DI-604 has started having issues so I pulled it out of service and have moved my wireless WRTU54G-TM from the living room to the computer room. Little did I know that the D-link router handled Static IPs the way I think they should be handled and the Linksys doesn't. I can assign a static IP for my mythtv and when ever mythtv does a DHCP request the D-Link gives it the same IP number. The Linksys, it seems, stops acting as a DHCP server once you assign the first static IP.
SO I'm looking for a new wired or wireless router that handles Static IPs well and can maybe do jumbo frames.
What are you guys using and are you happy with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 am 
Netgear, yes.

Set up a limited range for DHCP assigned numbers, and use those numbers above the range for static IPs.

The router will show the static IPs as such in the DHCP Client Lease IP page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am 
I had a number of Dlink routers and all of them have had the option to assign a psuedo-static IP based on MAC address which is a very nice feature that I use a lot!

That said I've not had the best luck with the DC power supplies (wall warts) for my Dlink routers. They seem to run hot and burn up after 2-3 years.

I would also recommend you look into DDWRT or Tomato and see if they are compatible with your Linksys router. I'd image that the open source firmwares support this feature.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 pm 
Unfortunatley DDWRT or tomato don't support this little router. I got it for $12 on a deal of the day website they were branded t-mobile and have two sim chip slots so that you could make calls with your T-mo phone over wifi. I'll say this about that the router worked fine in bridge mode for over a year. I noticed that you can buy a lot of DI-604s on ebay maybe I'll just go with what works.

Post subject: WRT54GL $50 shipped.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm 
I am sending two WRT54GL configured with DD-WRT overseas to relatives because the WRT54GL has long production history and is reliable. Reliability is the key, because I am sending these overseas and will be able remotely access the devices through SSH.

DD-WRT provides SSH capability, static LAN leases, and DDNS (even behind firewalls). These capability allows me to remotely access the network to help them troubleshoot any issues.

Although the listed capabilities can be implemented outside the router, I like having it in one place with the easy to use (remotely accessable) web intereface.

There is also a VOIP version (milkfish server) of DD-WRT that is available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 am 
Any reason you don't just assign an IP address statically on the HTPC? That way the router has nothing at all to do with assiging addresses to the HTPC. (obviously choose a static address that is unlikely to be given out by the routers DHCP server - or better still exclude it from the DHCP scope all together)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 am 
I like to assign static leases because the list is managed from one authoritative location. With a changing roster of devices and my limited (cranial) memory, managing this list where most network management is done is effective.

I also find this particularly useful for portable devices as I am taking them in and out of my LAN. When the device transistions in and out of a network, it is always set to DHCP and do not need to administer the NIC when transistioning. I find this to be convenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:19 pm 
I have used Linksys routers and DD-WRT software for years with Mythtv/Knoppmyth/LinHES with zero problems. I am currently running Linksys e2000 (or WRT320 - same as the e2000). Good range, good features and rock solid. Oh, and cheap. Several locations sell "refurbished" for $30 - $40. I bought my last one for $20 on a www.dealnews.com deal a few months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:29 pm 
Zyxel routers work well for me with static IP. NBG334W is a good model.