View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:08 am 
I am about to purchase a Harmony remote control, as I need it for another device I have recently acquired. I am currently using R6.04 and am wondering is there a simple way to set up these remotes. Currently using another remote that acts like a keyboard with a USB IR receiver.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 am 
Harmony really just emulates other remotes. When you set up the Harmony you will be asked for the type of appliance you are controlling. You want to choose something that matches your IR receiver attached to your myth box.

In my case I use iMon receivers so all of my Harmony's emulate the best iMon remote for the specific receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:56 pm 
I use twinhan receiver and to be honest I don't want to emulate that because all that is, is a keyboard in the shape of a remote control. I was hoping that there was like a LinHES config to make it easier.

I have found this http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup but it is over a year old and was hoping that with the advanced LinHES configuration there may be a more simple way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm 
The Harmony database has an option for MythTV, which will make your remote emulate the PVR-xxx silver remote. There may be customizations you wish to make on top of that configuration, the Harmony software allows for that.

I use this configuration with serial IR receivers in all my Myth boxen, works great and extremely easy to setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 pm 
I have seen the option for MythTV in the Harmony database, however it says with Knoppmyth that it doesn't support it and with LinHES it says it can do it, but it is not in the database.

So once I get it how do I actually go about setting it up?

Thanks

Post subject: Harmony setup
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
Girkers wrote:
I have seen the option for MythTV in the Harmony database, however it says with Knoppmyth that it doesn't support it and with LinHES it says it can do it, but it is not in the database.

Thanks

I have a Harmony One. I also have a streamzap remote. My solution was to follow this guide http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup for the setup. I connected the streamzap receiver and selected it in the Linhes setup. My remote does everything I need and I can choose between MythTV, Gamecube, Wii, and DVD player.

Another option would be to buy an MCE remote, e.g. Hauppage for about $50 which will include a receiver.

I can send you my lircrc and lircd.conf if you like. I am setup for Melbourne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm 
Girkers wrote:

Thanks

Not running LinHES currently, but In my case all I did was configure hardware.conf for my serial IR receiver and lircd.conf for the PVR-xxx (forget exactly what the reference is, might be "Hauppauge silver remote" or some such). I've used the same setup within KM and LinHES alike.

Keep in mind that it's the remote that generates the unique keypress codes. So in theory you could configure your Myth boxen to use any remote with any IR receiver, so long as said receiver passes through all IR signals it receives. I've used the same silver remote configuration with the iMON receiver in one of my systems, although I did not like the reaction that receiver had so I added a serial receiver to that frontend as well.

So, to wrap up: You configure your hardware.conf for whatever IR receiver you are using and your lircd.conf for the keypresses your remote will be sending. Note the files may be located in a different directory in LinHES, used to be in /etc/lirc if I recall correctly. Configuring the Harmony using the MythTV option in their database will make it send the Hauppauge silver remote keypresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:26 pm 
When I am looking up MythTV in the Logitech Harmony remote database it asks for the distribution, is it different in the configuration of the remote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 pm 
Girkers wrote:
When I am looking up MythTV in the Logitech Harmony remote database it asks for the distribution, is it different in the configuration of the remote?

The two options I found for configuring the remote were under PVR and Media Center PC (plug in LinHES if using this option), both of which set the Model to "0.19-SVN". This *used* to give you the Happauge silver remote emulation, but I haven't re-programmed my remote in a couple of years so it may have changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:10 pm 
I will have to wait and see how I go, I won't be getting it until Wednesday/Thursday and I plan on trying it with a remote FE before putting one in the main lounge. I don't want it to affect the WAF, hopefully if it works as I expect is should improve it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:07 am 
Gents and Ladies,

I have the remote but unfortunately I am running 6.04 and LinHES Config is not working. Can anyone suggest how I can change the remote without this menu available.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:48 am 
Manually.

Look for an old LIRC setup guide, the big differences will be the file locations and the daemon start up for lircd. The relevant files are:

/etc/lircd.conf - key code to symbolic name mapping
/etc/lircrc - symbolic name to application event mapping
/etc/sv/lircd/run - runit start up script
/etc/systemconfig - configuration settings