View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Compiling on LinHes 7.1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Hi Everyone,

I have been through the forums for the past couple of weeks with no avail, and all over the Arch Linux site. Both are great resources. I always try on my own beofre posting. I am not a novice with Linux, so I am not afraid of the configuration or setup for LinHes. I have had a successful implementaiton running for years now, starting with version 4 (I think). Last year I upgraded to 6.04 on new frontend and backend hardware. I run a single backend with three frontends.

In order to get a new wireless card running on a new frontend that I was installing, I needed to upgrade to v7. I changed my repos, and ran the upgrade and have had some problems; but I will put those issues into another post. My immediate need it to resolve a video issue on my new frontend box.

My new frontend is running a Sapphire Pure Fusion Mini E350 MB (IPC-E350M1) with an ATI chipset for Video (I know, I know; but my other devices have been working fine with Radeon drivers. The other can also take NVidia cards that I bought in case I needed them. This frontend is a mini-pc, so I cannot add a video card (due to the case I have purchased).

So my video card is:

ATI RadeonTM HD6310 GPU

lspci
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9802

When using the radeon driver, the log shows me that the HD6310 is not on the supported list. I think my best choice is to use he Catalyst driver (fglrx) though the Catalyst repo. Based on the Arch Linux site, I have installed the Catalyst driver, but I had to override the missing dependancy of the Linux package. I now know that the package prevented the module souces, and thereby the module from being installed.

I decided to just compile the driver myself, but that is not so easy, as the linux-headers are not in the two default linhes repos.

I have not compiled drivers (modules) on one machine to be used on another, but I will do that if that is the best option for me. What do I need to do to be able to be able to compile drivers for my frontend? Or where can I find a precomilied fglrx module.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 am 
I found the Catalyst package in the AUR. Looks like it requires linux-headers to build but LinHES calls them kernel26-headers or something like that. I forced the build and it appears to have completed successfully.

I can't really test it though since I build it in a Virtual Machine which obviously doesn't have an ATI video card.

Here is a link to the package:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30412658/Files/catalyst-11.12-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

easy method to install is:

Code:
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30412658/Files/catalyst-11.12-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
sudo pacman -U catalyst-11.12-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

Those two commands will download the package and install it. Let me know if it works. If it does perhaps we can open a bug and have the package added to the repo.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:58 am 
Thanks Martin.

It was the kernel headers that I was missing. I installed the Catalyst-gererator package, which has an autobuild feature. This information is found in the Arch Linux wiki at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst.

The repo that I added to pacman.conf, above other repos.

[catalyst]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/catalyst/i686

Then add the kernel headers and the catalyst files.

pacman -Sy kernel26-headers
pacman -Sy catalyst-gernerator

Finally, I was able to build and install the catalyst driver with the following

catalyst_build_module

And load the driver with:
modprobe fglrx

I am now quite happy as I have the driver installed, and it is showing up on my TV. Now I have to fix the configuration in my xorg.conf, as when I watch my recordings, I see two copies of the picture, on top and bottom.

Cheers,
-edt