View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:56 pm 
I have been running several frontend only machines for years. The best small form factor that I have found is the dual core ATOM machines. I am currently running 2 older Zotac MAG units (Nvidia on board, VDPAU enabled) that work flawlessly. I run HD content through them and stream both Amazon and Hulu (won't use Netflix - I am boycotting them) through the machines without issue. They are hardwired (gigabit) - wireless has had issues with streaming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:17 pm 
nbdwt73 - How about flash streaming like youtube or the like?

On the wireless streaming count Girkers was just asking a question about that in this thread: http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22437 You may want to chime in on that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm 
I had a Foxconn ATOM (dual core) + ION box laying around that was very unstable with 6.04. A combination of 7.2 + adding the boot parameter "PCI=NOMSI" has stabalized things, so I upgraded and switched to using this box as my frontend + backend system. Here are the results:

1. Power consumption is 15 watts at idle. My recollection is that idle power consumption was closer to 22 watts under 6.0.4.

2. Recording and playback work well.

3. It's slow, but I can use handbrake to transcode hidef video to h.264 standard def. It takes anywhere from 2.3X - 2.7X of the original recording time to do the transcode. Given the extremely lower power consumption of the box, I am OK with the long running transcodes, as I am able to record & watch shows while trancoding without any problems.

If I were purchasing new hardware I would still be inclined to try an I3-2120T, but I was pleasantly surprised that the ATOM+ION was able to handle the transcodes.

I ran a benchmark of to see how long it took to transcode 10 minutes of video using various Handbrake profiles.

Update on March 10, 2012.

The benchmark results I previous posted were incorrect -- long story. In a nutshell, if you use the options below HandBrakeCLI version 0.96 can transcode 1080i mpeg2 to H.264 in 1.1X real-time; 720p will transcode in 1.4X real-time. (ie, A 10 minute 720p minute recording will take 14 minutes to transcode.) I can confirm that these transcodes play back well on an iPhone4; on a 50" hidef TV using mythtv's internal player; in VLC/windows; and in MediaPlayerClassic/Windows.
Code:
HandBrakeCLI -i <infile> -o <outfile> --vb 1000 --maxWidth 640

"--vb 1000" sets the output video bitrate to 1,000kbits/second. "--maxWidth 640" limits the output file's resolution to 640-wide. The height will be automatically scaled to the same aspect ratio as the input file.

I experimented with the "-q" options, which is supposed to optimze for a specific quality level, but I felt I was getting better results with fixed bit-rate transcodes at all file sizes.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Last edited by marc.aronson on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm 
Okay, so I'm still a little confused here. Do we have anyone with experience with either the Atom or the i3 integrated graphics that can confirm that there are no problems viewing HD? Like I said before, I just want this to work. I could throw a quad core AMD Phenom and an Nvidia GTS250 at the problem, but from what I'm hearing that's overkill. If there's an Atom solution that someone is really happy with, please let me know...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Okay, I didn't realize there were 2 pages (still getting used to the new phpbb). It sounds like nbdwt73 is saying that the dual core Atoms work well (albeit with Nvidia graphics, not Intel). So, I still don't think we've heard back from anyone using Intel graphics? Also, if you're happy with the graphics I'd be interested in hearing what your playback setting is in LinHES.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm 
kmkittre, it's pretty straight forward:

1. If you don't want to be in the bleeding edge, use Nvidia graphics, not Intel graphics. Over the long run I believe that the integrated intel graphics are going to be a better solution, but if you go with Intel graphics today you will spend time running down fixes for various glitches.

2. I have 2 atom boxes and they work well. Both use nvidia ION graphics. One if a single-core ATOM; the other is a dual-core atom. My brother uses a dual-core ATOM + ION and it works well. I play back hidef mpeg2 with no problems. I do not use hidef H.264, but it looks like others on the forum have had success with this as well.

3. I use the standard VDPAU playback profile with 1 tweak: I change the deinterlace method to Bob2X.

Hope this helps.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
Thanks for the recommendation, Marc. Question: do you use the HDMI out on the board? Are you using digital audio, and if so are you doing that over HDMI or the SPDIF out? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm 
Sorry for the long delay - with the combination of the site hardware failure and my travel schedule, I have not been able to keep up.

TJC, streaming works fine from Youtube and the like... I also use streaming from some technical training sites - they work well too. My only issue with these little ATOM machines is with Blueray - won't play that well... but what do you expect - they are dirt cheap and just work...

Kmkittre, I have 2 boxes - one uses spdif out, the other is over HDMI. Both work fine for digital playback.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 am 
Kmkittre, I am using 5.1 digital audio out over HDMI on both boxes.

Newegg has a sale on a ATOM + ION small form factor Zotac box. $249 - $5 promo code EMCNHHB27 - $30 rebate = $219 + tax. Free shipping. Includes 1GB of RAM, 1 open memory slot for adding more memory, 250GB hard drive & integrated DVD burner. Has an ESATA and USB 3.0 port if you want to also use it as a backend with local storage. I have never used this particular box, but seems like a very good price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 am 
Newegg is having a sale on 2 nice looking ATOM + ION systems:

1. Zotac ZBOX-ID41-U-- $230 + $8.5 shippin g- 15% discount with promo code EMCNGNJ29. Barebones system - you add memory & disk drive.

2. Zotac ZBOX-ID31DVD-PLUS-- $250 - $30 rebate - $5.00 w/ promo code EMCNHHB27. Shipping is free. Includes 1GB memory, disk drive and DVD burner. I like this one a bit better because it also includes an ESATA port.

Both of them support USB 3.0, which is fast enough if you want to use this as an integrated front-end/back-end. I do not own either of these boxes, so I can't confirm they will make a painless build with LINHES, but my recollection is that others on the boards have had good things to say about Zotac.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:24 pm 
Been mulling upgrading my Pentium 4 / PCI 8400GS Frontend only systems (no, I'm not joking, in fact, I'm quite proud of them :-). I'm looking from a frontend-only system, I have gigabit wiring everywhere and while my TVs are about as impressive as my current frontends I'm planning on upgrading them too at some point so I'd like something that can handle 1080p etc etc.

Looks like these are the options from the 'egg that are barebones/nVidia ION GFX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

That "OEM Production" one looks ok on paper but might be too cheap... So failing that I guess the Zotac onereferenced earlier might be best. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856173032

Any other thougths?

TIA,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 pm 
I have an Acer R1600 (single core atom + ION) and a Foxconn box (dual core atom 330 + ION). Both are combo frontend/backend machines. They both work well doing both. I can record 3 hidef shows while watching a recorded show on the foxconn box without problems. I can even transcode with it using handbrake..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm 
I bought my dad one of these a couple of years ago, now I'd like to get him a google chromebook and take back the Acer. Alas he lives in Europe & I won't be going again for some time. Oh - and the Acers are no longer for sale. CORRECTION: Just checked Newegg and there are newer models out there for $310+, for that price I'll probably just stick with the Zotac. But it's good to know that the single core atom is sufficient, I figures it would be.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 am 
Set up a Zotac Zbox ID41-U about 3 months ago and have had no playback issues. No hard drive. Installed 7.4, frontend only, to a 8GB SDHC. WAF is huge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
High WAF is good - very good. Right now I'm doing a PXE boot which I love as my entire FE image is on the server, handy for backups and other reasons but she hates it as it takes a whopping 1 min to boot or whatever.

So the Zotac can boot from the memory slot? Cool, this sound like the way to go, thx.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next