View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am 
I have just upgraded from 6.04 to 7.2 and my remote is not working. I noticed during the initial boot up of 7.2 that my remote sensor was detected by failed as it could not find the directory. Looking in the remote setup screen within the frontend I can choose a 'Twinham' however this does not work and my remote is a Twinhan.

The remote works like a keyboard and I know the keyboard settings are right as I am having to use the keyboard at the moment to navigate.

The remote sensor is picking up the signal as it has a light to indicate when it receives a signal, however the button press is not being passed to the system. Another way I checked this was opened up a terminal window and previously if you pressed a button on the remote you would see the key stroke appear in the terminal window, this is no longer happening.

If it helps here is how it appears in dmesg:
Code:
[    2.499118] input: Twinhan Tech Remote Control as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.0/input/input3
[    2.499255] twinhan 0003:6253:0100.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Twinhan Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:12.1-3/input0
[    2.503523] input: Twinhan Tech Remote Control as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.1/input/input4
[    2.503664] twinhan 0003:6253:0100.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Twinhan Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:12.1-3/input1

Can anyone please advise how I can get my remote working again?

Last edited by Girkers on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:11 pm 
Could be one of several problems. I'd check out both.
Quote:
romote was not working.

Code: Select all
Service Menu -> Mythtv Configuration -> Setup -> General -> Page 9(last page)

Changing 'lirc daemon socket' from /dev/lircd to /var/run/lirc/lircd

There are also reports or different locations for lircd.conf and the lircrc file. On some machines they are located in

/etc and others they are in /etc/lirc

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm 
Hi Tim,

I will check that out, however in previous version I have never used lircd as the remote and sensor simply worked as a keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
Ah, if you never used lircd then it doesn't sound like your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 pm 
BTW most remote receivers will "re-blink" whenever they have USB power. The computer can be completely locked up and it will still blink. I'm pretty sure it's just a simple circuit in the receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm 
My receiver has two lights on it, one signifying power and the other is signal light, so I know it is the signal light that is going on when I push a button on the remote. It has been doing that now for about 5 years or so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 pm 
Girkers,
I'm not familiar with your remote. You can get key presses from the keyboard portion of the remote but not other buttons?

Based on the dmesg output it looks like this is likely an in kernel driver. You may want to "sv stop lircd" and see if it responds.

To help you debug this also check: http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... tomization

If you do want lirc involved then I think your remote is connecting via "devinput" so lircd would need to use that instead of /dev/lirc0.

In case the linHES lircd start up is causing issue, you can stop it from running by creating an empty file called /etc/runit/lirc.sh . Anyway the guide above should help you get started.

I also found this post when I was googling: http://bristley.blogspot.com/2009/01/tw ... how-i.html

It may give more clues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:01 am 
Thank christ,

I mean that is all good I love how detailed the Wiki article is, however I am having trouble turning the wiki article into how do I setup my remote.

I have never used lirc, as my remote has always worked as a keyboard, I had just mapped the keys in MythTV, now is a lot more complicated and whilst I appreciate that the new architecture brings all the remotes into a standard configuration, someone like me who might be technical has no clue on how to setup lirc as I have never been exposed to it.

So let me know if I am heading in the right direction:

1. I need to create a file /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and this should contain:
Code:
DRIVER="dev/input"
DEVCE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-event-kbd"

Problem is I only have the following devices (no keyboard):
Code:
usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-event-if00
usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-event-mouse
usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-if01-event-mouse
usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-if01-mouse
usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-mouse

lsusb reports:
Code:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 6253:0100 TwinHan Technology Co., Ltd Ir reciver f. remote control

dmesg reports (dmesg | grep Twinhan):
Code:
[    2.555101] input: Twinhan Tech Remote Control as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.0/input/input2
[    2.555245] twinhan 0003:6253:0100.0003: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Twinhan Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:12.1-3/input0
[    2.559537] input: Twinhan Tech Remote Control as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.1/input/input3
[    2.559672] twinhan 0003:6253:0100.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Twinhan Tech Remote Control] on usb-0000:00:12.1-3/input1

So I am stuck and even know where to start, help please? :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:54 am 
I was actually going to suggest that you turn lirc off completely. per:
Quote:
For the in kernel drivers, if Lircd is not running then by default the In Kernel Remote Driver will issue keyboard and/or mouse events. These events will be seen by higher level applications such as X and MythTV as if normal keyboard and mouse events occurred. Thus if you do not require certain lirc functions such as irexec and irxevent then you can quite happily not use lirc at all. Note, some remotes actually do issue mouse events such as certain imon remotes.

The keyboard might be at "usb-Twinhan_Tech_Remote_Control_1111111-event-if00"

But, let's start with turning lirc off with "sv stop lircd" and then tell me what "ir-keytable" outputs.

With lirc off there is a chance the keyboard will spring to life as it should pass the keys up to xorg and then to myth (per the diagram). brfransen (who is more knowledgeable then me in this area) thinks it might be xorg related too but let's take this one bit at a time. Also with lirc off, "ir-keytable -t" should also work so you can see if keys are at least coming up from the driver.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:08 am 
I did try this earlier, however it didn't work, but here is what happens when I stop lircd and try ir-keytable:
Code:
[root@mythtv lirc]# sv stop lircd
ok: down: lircd: 5526s, normally up
[root@mythtv lirc]# ir-keytable
Couldn't find any node at /sys/class/rc/rc*.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:25 am 
ok. then it isn't lirc interfering nor is it coming up through the remote control side. brfransen is probably right and it may need to be fixed via xorg. It might also be the driver. I'm about to disappear for a while so perhaps someone else can pick this up?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:00 am 
I had a look through the Xorg log and found that it finds my remote and sets it up as a keyboard:
Code:
[    34.656] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Twinhan Tech Remote Control (/dev/input/event2)
[    34.656] (**) Twinhan Tech Remote Control: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[    34.656] (**) Twinhan Tech Remote Control: always reports core events
[    34.656] (**) Twinhan Tech Remote Control: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
[    34.663] (--) Twinhan Tech Remote Control: Found keys
[    34.663] (II) Twinhan Tech Remote Control: Configuring as keyboard
[    34.663] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Twinhan Tech Remote Control" (type: KEYBOARD)
[    34.663] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[    34.663] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[    34.663] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
[    34.663] (II) XKB: Reusing cached keymap

So I try a cat /dev/input/event2 and when I push buttons on the remote I get some action, whilst it is jibberish I am getting something. previous I would have gotten the keypress.

I need to get this sorted as the WAF is in the toilet at the moment.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:33 am 
I just upgraded my Frontend system this evening and it has the same remote and the same problem. So I tried my Logitech Harmony set as an MCE however that doesn't work either. The remote is giving out a signal however the computer is not doing anything with it.

It looks like in both case the /dev/lircd directory is not being created.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:30 pm 
I am very upset at the moment, I have been working on this for over eight (8) straight and I am not closer to solving the problem. I am at my wits end, the WAF has completely gone cause at the moment she has to use a wireless keyboard and to be honest the range is not that good and having to use a keyboard over a remote is even worse.

I have lodged a bug report, I have posted here to get some help and I have even been in the irc channel, but no is there when I am on.

I have just read another post where a person has had to buy a mini wireless keyboard as he could not get his Harmony remote to work. This lack of support from this community is disappointing, I have been around using LinHes since early version 4 and now a new version has been put out and everyone's gone to sleep. I appreciate that we have our own lives off-line, however I have been patiently waiting for some help yet there appears none forthcoming.

You know I am getting the question from my wife, when will it be fixed, this sucks, why did you touch it, it was working fine and the list goes on. What do I tell her that I have no idea when I will be able to fix the issue?

I use to love working with this distro, however with the major changes in version 7 to everything being templated (this isn't a bad thing), there is no doco, things that worked previously no longer do and I am tired from trying to fix something that worked before.

From very disgruntled and disappointed previous fanboi of LinHES. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 pm 
I have a twinhan remote that I haven't used in years. I thought it just emulated a keyboard. I plugged it in and found it didn't work on my linhes box or my ubuntu box. I found some info saying that hid_twinhan is not right for this remote. Removing hid_twinhan and usbhid modules and loading usbkbd module made it work on my ubuntu box but linhes doesn't seem to include that module. I built and installed my own and it seems to be working. I have a copy here if you want to give it a try. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13875851/usbkbd.ko

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next